+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Mermaid efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK (a bit confused)
    Posts
    1,098

    Miss Universe 2015 Donald Trump Controversy

    I love Miss Universe! It's one of my guilty pleasures! I love the glitz, the glam, the beautiful dresses, the locations they choose!!! However, the world-class beauty pageant has been rocked by controversy recently.

    And, given that I'm a fan (I've never missed a broadcast), whatever happens with the pageant is my business. Especially given the utter crapshow it's going on with Miss Universe.

    Miss Universe is going to have an extremely rough year, is what I'm saying.

    Donald Trump is the co-owner of the Miss Universe Organization, along with NBCUniversal, and, on June 16th he made a speech with some pretty inflammatory comments defaming the whole of Latin America (with special insults just for Mexico) during his announcement of his bid for the presidency of the United States.

    Yeah. That's the kind of idiocy we are dealing with here.

    So, normally I wouldn't post anything political here, but it's already turning into a turd the whole thing. Believe it or not, it actually gets worse, especially if you consider that Miss Universe is a big franchise business. This is a big deal, folks. Also, it was pretty crass of Trump to say such comments about the region that has provided over a third of Miss Universe winners, but, what can you do?

    There's already a total tally of 4 countries that have pulled out from the pageant and a lot of businesses have pulled out their sponsorships from the Miss USA pageant.

    Let's have a brief timeline of the events so far:
    June 16th — Donald Trump insults Mexico along with all of Latin America . Specifically, he said Latin Americans were rapists, drug traffickers and so on, and only sent their worst to the USA.

    June 17th — The Mexican government lashes out at Donald Trump's statements. The Mexican government also starts pressuring Mexican corporations to pull out of the contest.

    June 25th — Univision drops out of Miss Universe. Univision declared it won't be broadcasting Miss Universe, even after making plans about making the first-ever Spanish-speaking simulcast in the US. Univision is the 4th ranked network with young people (18-49) in the United States, making this a pretty big deal, that's a lot of people advertisements and sponsor won't be getting to.

    June 29th — Mexico pulls out of the contests. Televisa (who owns at least 5% of Univision) decided to back its government and pulled out of Miss Universe—it was a matter of time, really. It's a big deal because Televisa would have paid at least 50 thousand dollars to Miss Universe to have the rights to broadcast the contest in Mexico (I will find a source for this later, Google searches is currently clogged with Mexico's withdrawal).
    NBC won't broadcast Miss Universe. This an official press release stating that they will not broadcast Miss Universe. This is bad for Donald Trump, since you guys should remember that NBCUniversal co-owns Miss Universe with Trump. The press release is balloney (mostly), I'd bet the main reason they pulled out, it's not because they are united together with Latin Americans, but because of good business sense: NBCUniversal owns Telemundo since 2001, and Telemundo is the 3rd ranked Spanish-broadcasting network in the States.
    Donald Trump refuses to back out from his remarks. And Donald Trump threw insults at the whole rest of Latin America. Again. This will be important later.

    June 30th — Colombia withdraws from Miss Universe. Bogotá, capital of Colombia, officially withdrew its bid to be a host city for Miss Universe. Do bear in mind the current crowned Miss Universe is Colombian Paulina Vega, so this, and not sending contestants to Miss Universe, is as close as Colombia will get to protesting the whole dèbâcle.
    Panama confirms it is going to Miss Universe. So I can't find an English News Source for this, but the link goes to an El Panamá América news article, one of the holy trinity of Panamanian newspapers. The head of Miss Panama Organization, Marisela Moreno, confirmed the organization would stil be sending a Miss Panama to the contest. She alleged that Trump's remarks were meant to be what the US electorate wanted to hear, or something. Of course, her greedy arse thought she would still be participating (the lot of you don't know, but Marisela Moreno's leadership of Miss Panama has been rocked by scandals, and she does not prepare our misses properly and hoards money and so on. More info here, in Spanish).

    July 1st — Costa Rica withdraws From Miss Universe. Teletica, Señorita Costa Rica and Miss Universe broadcaster, officially dropped out of Miss Universe. Teletica announced that due to the nature of the comments, they could not condone under any circumstances a Miss Costa Rica participating in such a toxic environment.
    Nicaragua announces it will still be going to Miss Universe. Nicaragua confirms it will still be going to Miss Universe due to the problem being Donald Trump, not the pageant. Well, at least that's what they said in Spanish in El Nuevo Diario, a Nicaraguan newspaper. In English news, «contractual obligations» are alleged as the reason Nicaragua didn't pull out of the contest.
    Macy's ends business relationship with Donald Trump. Macy's dumped Trump's clothing line after his derogatory comments. This is a big deal because Macy's is the 105th clothings retailer in THE WORLD. Not just the Sates, the whole WORLD. That's the kind of money we are talking about here. As with NBCUniversal, this was not a charity move, it was a business move: They want to have good PR amongst Latin Americans and Latin American descendants in the US since those groups have a combined buying power of 1,5 TRILLION dollars. Also, they have already sunk a lot of money into that demographic, with the launch of the Thalia clothing brand this year, that's supposedly been pretty successful (and it's actually pretty cute, click here to check it out!).

    OMG I HAVE TO DOUBLE POST.

    Don't worry, I'm almost done here.
    ~You've to take your life how it comes. Your life, it's only one.
    Twins with: santa123fawr (MeSpirit/Mel)

  2. #2
    Mermaid efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK (a bit confused)
    Posts
    1,098
    Part 2!
    July 2nd — Miss Universe Paulina Vega fires back at Trump. So, Miss Universe herself has criticised Trump (giving osme valid points in the process). Equally valid is, however, her points about desiring to keep her crown (helped no doubt by Miss Universe Organization's draconian contracts she signed onto when she won).
    REELZ channel is going to broadcast Miss USA in the States. REELZ is a national cable channel in the US, an indepently owned somewhat small channel, that decided to broadcast Miss USA after... uh... the co-owner, NBCUniversal, dropped out of hosting it. Miss Universe still doesn't have a broadcaster, but it will be livestreamed.

    July 3rd — Panama boycotts Miss Universe. That link goes to the English version of La Prensa, one of the holy trinity of Panamanian newspapers, as official as it gets, unless you count the official press release by Telemetro channel officially withdrawing (in Spanish). I found out about this while I watched the news last night, since an official statement was broadcasted by Jenia Nensen, a news anchor, during the news broadcast at 7:30 pm (Panama time, UTC -5, sanriotown server time: 12:30 am). Man, it was awesome, basically strong-arming Miss Panama Organization into compliance since they are the main sponsor and the only broadcaster. I wish I could find a video to link.
    Yeah, I know. A lot has happened.

    And these are just the highlights, mind you, this is not counting Donald Trump's 500 million sollar lawsuit against Univisión or all the artists who dropped out and other sorts of things.

    I'll be updating this thread with major highlights up to Miss Universe contest. By the way, for those of you keeping scorecards, the countries who have withdrawn so far are: Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia, Panama (chronologically).

    So, on the one hand I'm actually pretty sad because I love Miss Universe. Did I mention it's one of my fave things ever? No? Well, now you guys know. I want the pageant to run smoothly and I want all the pretty dresses, even if that means I'm incredibly shadow. I'm allowed to have my moments.

    On the other hand, I be like BURN BABY BUUUUURRRRRN, because. Seriously.

    I can understand saying disparaging comments about immigration, certainly. I can understand even doing it against certain immigrant populations, even if I happen to share a culture with them. I won't like it, mind you (and it's not nice and prejudice and so on); but who hasn't ever said or heard awful comments about immigrants? It's politics, you just know it was gonna come up at some point, because people are awful like that and politicians just want a cushy job. But to go from there to insulting a whole region of the world? To defame a whole population with ignorant remarks, insult governments and so on?

    And this man intends to be president of a world power?

    No. Just no. I hope all of Latin America drops out.

    But I'll watch the heck out of the pirated Miss Universe broadcast because I LOVE IT, and it's like my yearly drug or something.

    So... Anybody for the pretty dresses?
    ~You've to take your life how it comes. Your life, it's only one.
    Twins with: santa123fawr (MeSpirit/Mel)

  3. #3
    Senior Member shumibiggi@mymelody.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Grand-Métis, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    1,606
    I am Canadian but almost everything I watch on television and every websites I go to are American so I of course know what is happening in that country. The republicans are insane (im being way too nice here) and Donald Trump fits correctly in that group.

    I used to watch that show once in a while but I have not in many years.

    The main reason why I am completely against censorship is that we all know who the crazies are so I refuse to have people like that maniac censored but I am all for people like him getting insulted back and have their businesses boycotted. This is the beauty of free speech, you have the right to be full of hate and the rest of us have the right to hate you back. Like people have the right to refuse business from certain people and the rest of us have the right to put you out of business while not going there anymore.

    Donald Trump actually was a normal person once so I have no idea what happened to him the past years. The worst is that in United States people like him gets elected all the time so he has a nice chance to become the republican nominee and to then become president. If Hillary Clinton becomes the democrat nominee then a republican will become president. I don't care for that country but these arrogant clowns are everywhere so if a psychopath is the president there we all pay for it (just look at Bush and his gang - what they did will have an effect as long as theres human beings).
    If you fall, I'll be there. - Floor

  4. #4
    Mermaid efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK (a bit confused)
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by shumibiggi@mymelody.com View Post
    The republicans are insane (im being way too nice here) and Donald Trump fits correctly in that group.
    You tell me? They seriously scare me. Until I started delving into the utter insanity of Republican campaigning I thought my country was backwards.

    Quote Originally Posted by shumibiggi@mymelody.com View Post
    The main reason why I am completely against censorship is that we all know who the crazies are so I refuse to have people like that maniac censored but I am all for people like him getting insulted back and have their businesses boycotted.
    Yes? I mean, I agree, but I'm not sure what has to do with anything.

    Anyway, Evelyn Beatrice Hall said it best:
    I disapprove of what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
    (It's often misattributed to Voltaire because she wrote that in his biography).


    Quote Originally Posted by shumibiggi@mymelody.com View Post
    Donald Trump actually was a normal person once so I have no idea what happened to him the past years.

    I know you. If you say it I'm pretty confident it must be true.

    But I seriously can't believe this. It's just... I can't.


    Quote Originally Posted by shumibiggi@mymelody.com View Post
    The worst is that in United States people like him gets elected all the time so he has a nice chance to become the republican nominee and to then become president. If Hillary Clinton becomes the democrat nominee then a republican will become president. I don't care for that country but these arrogant clowns are everywhere so if a psychopath is the president there we all pay for it (just look at Bush and his gang - what they did will have an effect as long as theres human beings).
    YES YES TO ALL OF THIS YES.

    Whatever happened to Republican moderates. I'd prefer if Jeb Bush gets the Republican candidacy, it'd be a better race for everyone involved. Of course, that is highly unlikely since he has some —as of now—unpalatable postures for a Republican nominee.

    And to think Abraham Lincoln was Republican.

    How things change.
    ~You've to take your life how it comes. Your life, it's only one.
    Twins with: santa123fawr (MeSpirit/Mel)

  5. #5
    Senior Member shumibiggi@mymelody.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Grand-Métis, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    1,606
    When that country was founded the democrats were actually the crazy ones. Weird sometimes how things change.

    Sadly my country has become like the United States. It's like one day half of the Canadians woke up crazy and then Harper who is just like the republicans was elected with the majority and since then we are becoming more and more like them. At least the normal Americans can say that the change from normal to demented was slow, here it is going fast!

    John McCain too was sane once upon a time. He just for some reason decided to get rid of everything he stood for plus his conscience, empathy, intelligence, pride and reason. This is completely crazy to me how some people can do that.

    I love the quote you wrote, it is true and a lot of people do not agree with it. Plus you consider that a lot of people can be offended over anything so most people just prefer to walk on eggshells than to say what they want. Not me! And I want crazies like Trump to speak their mind and I will be the first to give them the taste of their own medicine (unless they are just trolls like Ann Coulter - these people has never got anything from me - its like shes winning by me just mentioning her).
    If you fall, I'll be there. - Floor

  6. #6
    Mermaid efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK (a bit confused)
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by shumibiggi@mymelody.com View Post
    When that country was founded the democrats were actually the crazy ones. Weird sometimes how things change.
    I guess there's always Biden?

    Quote Originally Posted by shumibiggi@mymelody.com View Post
    Sadly my country has become like the United States. It's like one day half of the Canadians woke up crazy and then Harper who is just like the republicans was elected with the majority and since then we are becoming more and more like them. At least the normal Americans can say that the change from normal to demented was slow, here it is going fast!
    Oh, my god, I'm so sorry.

    Then again, what am I talking about? My country is a frikkin' pendulum of crazy. Back, and forth, back and, forth. This is why we are still a developing country! Last presidency we elected a bona fide insane presidency, but we colectively thought "at least he's honest". What a joke. He ended up being one of the most unabashed robbers of the Treasury we ever had.

    Now we elected a sane one. Of course, his sanity comes at a prize, what with him being pretty socially conservative and not taking any steps forward in LGBQT+ issues. ~le sigh. Thankfully, most of us are tolerant enough and my generation has some pretty different opinions on the matter.


    Quote Originally Posted by shumibiggi@mymelody.com View Post
    John McCain too was sane once upon a time.
    The way I hear it, because he's the only sane person over at the GOP, he's not popular anymore. He also refuses to pander. Sure, when he did the presidency race he had to come to some pretty nasty compromises with some people, but that's just politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by shumibiggi@mymelody.com View Post
    I love the quote you wrote, it is true and a lot of people do not agree with it. Plus you consider that a lot of people can be offended over anything so most people just prefer to walk on eggshells than to say what they want. Not me! And I want crazies like Trump to speak their mind and I will be the first to give them the taste of their own medicine (unless they are just trolls like Ann Coulter - these people has never got anything from me - its like shes winning by me just mentioning her).
    I've always agreed wholeheartedly with that quote. My Founding Fathers didn't bleed for my country to be free and then turn around and do nasty stuff. I think we do pretty good, what with never having hate lynching and so.

    I also want the crazies to be able to spew their filth. We are more, we shall win.

    You may be interested in this video, since I especially love what John Oliver says at the end:

    If you're not willing to support transgender people for their sake, at least, do it for your own: Because we've been through this before; we know how this thing ends.

    If you take the anti–civil-rights side, and deny people access to something they're entitled to, history is not going to be kind to you.
    ~You've to take your life how it comes. Your life, it's only one.
    Twins with: santa123fawr (MeSpirit/Mel)

  7. #7
    Senior Member shumibiggi@mymelody.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Grand-Métis, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    1,606
    Bernie Sanders is trying to be elected as the democrat to become president. That man is a good politician, he is honest, he do not take money from anyone, he is intelligent and has culture (which means he has no chance of course).

    The only country that seems normal is Germany but the past few months it looks that this is changing. They are still many steps above any other country as far as sanity goes.

    I loved John Oliver when he was with The Daily Show but strangely I never watched his show.

    People just never learn from history. They cannot remember that when a group of people just stood there and let another group be oppressed or worst that later on it was their turn. Anyway when it's the time of idiots they say that for them it is just not the same.

    I think it is in the nineties that the ignorants were able to take charge. I remember an episode of Primetime in particular (a group of kids after getting their diplomas went to party at a water park and in one of the rides they decided to go in at the same time and it blocked at about the halfway mark and then it broke and they all died their parents then sued the park for millions the interviewer were telling them that there were many signs and that the man working for that ride told them and the parents were still saying it was not the fault of their kids - after that it started happening more and more and censorship was getting worst too - at one point if the rest of us would had stood together and said no this is not what we want our society to be it would of worked but for years now we are passed that point). Now the de-evolution of human beings is going so fast that we can see it happening when we are awake.

    I could bet money without losing that at least one person would be offended seeing me right now just from the way I am sitting or/and typing. And if this would be put somewhere on the internet at least one comment would defend the offended ******************** even if he/she would of been verbally or/and physically violent with me.
    If you fall, I'll be there. - Floor

  8. #8
    Senior Member shumibiggi@mymelody.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Grand-Métis, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    1,606
    Wow the word (i d i o t) is censored here? !
    If you fall, I'll be there. - Floor

  9. #9
    Senior Member shumibiggi@mymelody.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Grand-Métis, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    1,606
    This is strange because the first time I wrote it it was not censored !
    If you fall, I'll be there. - Floor

  10. #10
    Mermaid efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK (a bit confused)
    Posts
    1,098
    I do not have much knowledge of Bernie Sanders. I know better Ron Paul, and I'm rooting for him to have a shot. Not so much because I agree with him, but because he's intelligent and consistent. I'm going to have to look up Bernie. I think everybody should have Colombia's system, they came up with a good idea: if the blank vote wins (most votes), then all candidates are disqualified since the people willed them not ap, and parties should choose new candidates and campaign all over again.

    I don't know, my German teacher told me along time ago Germany's always been a bit bipolar.

    Oh. You should watch whatever clips you come across!! (I don't really get his show down here). John Oliver's awesome on his own.

    I seem to have relevant quotes for everything!


    First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Socialist.
    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
    It's a poem by Martin Niemöller about the nazis.

    And, wow. That waterpark thing is beyond the impossible. This doesn't happen here, but just give it time.

    Uh, actually we are getting smarter, adn de-evolution is not accurate. Societal molly-coddling attitudes, on the other hand, are not helping one iota.

    I can totally see that. People get offended nowadays by the tiniest thing. I mean, it's not any of their businees!

    Yeah, as are s h o e and s t u p i d censored too, for some reason. I don't pretend to know how the forum censor works.
    ~You've to take your life how it comes. Your life, it's only one.
    Twins with: santa123fawr (MeSpirit/Mel)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts