+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shows and Movies with Diverse Casts

Some of the shows I liked that had a diverse cast were: the proud family (ok I know this was animated), That's so Raven, Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Parks and Rec, Victorious (sort of was), Fresh off the Boat, and the 100 (yes some of these aren't the most appropriate and some of these are like childrens shows lol)

Movies I liked were: if one of the shows above had a movie with it lol, The Namesake (I cried I could relate so much), Clueless (lol), Up, and Big Hero 6

When I mean diverse, I mean more of what is the minority, like strong female leads, non-white protagonists, more people of color in shows, people with disabilities, shows that defy stereotypes, and people with different body types ex: That's so Raven episode where they made her a size 2 and she realized she was proud of her body the way it was, and other things like that

Mermaid efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    My, my; turning into quite the little feminist, aren't we perfectpanda?

I think the British tend to be abit better for that, at least when it comes to Children's TV shows. There's Young Dracula, MI High and The Sarah Jane Adventures.

There's even diverse anime with strong leads, since you started with the Proud Family.

For the western side, I would put forward The Adventures of Lilo & Stitch, Steven Universe (even though I hate it), Generator Rex, Jem and the Holograms (I know, I know, really old school), Peper Ann (slightly more recent, but I loved it!), Where In the World Is Carmen Sandiego? (this is older than me, but loved it!), Young Justice, Teen Titans, My Little Pony: Frienship is Magic (yes, really), American Dragon: Jake Long and The Life and Times of Juniper Lee!

There's also the western animes Avatar: The Las Airbender and its sequel, Legend of Korra. Plus the classic DC Animated Universe: The Superman Adventures, Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Proyect Z, Justice League and Justice League unlimited. Plus W.I.T.C.H.!

All great, ethnically-diverse shows, with well-rounded females among its cast

So, for the anime and manga side of the equation: Cowboy Bebop, Shaman King (yes, really), Fullmetal Alchemist, Tiger & Bunny, Michiko to Hatchin, Darker than Black, Black Lagoon, Cyborg 009, Tamako Market (even though I hated it!), Jormungand, Shingeki no Kyōjin (also called Attack on Titan), Pumpkin Scissors, Silver Spoon, Otoyomegatari, Emma, Pluto, Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water (oldie but goody!), The Mysterious Cities of Gold (anotehr excellent old one!) and the The Book of Bantorra.

My criterion for these suggestions is that it needs to have a woman amongst the main characters, there must be several good women characters in the narrative and it needs to be ethincally diverse.

For series and films, if you like I could recommend a whole lot of stuff as well, however, I'm hesitant to do so because I've always (even at your age, perfectpanda) watched more adult stuff. So they're going to feature s3xual situations and probably lots of violence because I do love me some gore. But, it will also follow the same criteria as the anime/manga and cartoons

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com; 08-04-2015 at 12:40 AM.
    ~You've to take your life how it comes. Your life, it's only one.
    Twins with: santa123fawr (MeSpirit/Mel)

Yup pretty much and don't really find that to be a bad thing. Yes I liked half the shows you mentioned lol and "The Life and Times of Juniper Lee!"is what I guess the show was actually called. Yeah, I don't understand Steven Universe and don't really like it either, too many characters and too many things like people merging together. American Dragon was a great show his dad was so clueless to everything >< I've seen Teen Titans the original was great, but Teen Titans Go is just creepy and sends kids inappropriate messages I find...
    ATLA and LoK were one of my favorite shows lol I can't believe I forgot to include them! I loved them so much Bolin <3 I stopped watching anime a few years ago lol I can't bring myself to watch them anymore idk why. And lol the namesake had some of those scenes too, but then again they were more explicit in the book O_O so I was glad they didn't include it in the movie. The 100 has some of those too.
    Your idea of diverse is great I agree I used to be very sad when I was really young because there were no South Asian girls on TV and then I grew up and Mindy Kaling was on the Office and punched racist people in the face lolllll Attack on Titan freaks me out...they look like human bodies without skin O_o

I used to watch Lilo and Stitch all the time too, along with Emperor's New School...there were so many shows, like Kappa Mikey, and literally every Disney show prior to like 2010 (idk something happened and everything went downhill from there)

I completely agee with you about Steve Universe! I don't get the hype. It's like they're throwing things at a wall and seeing what sticks. And they keep ignoring the most interesting bits of the story. I don't care about Steve's mum, or Pearl's undying love for her (I have watched episodes on and off, due to being one of my cousisn favourite TV programs). I want to know what's up with the fusions! Tell me more about the Gem war! What about the Gem's culture????????? Too much focus on Steve. I don't care. I may have once, but now I don't.

I loved American Dragon! I always wanted to write a fanfic where the Dad finds out. I loved all of the cast, especially Trixie! She was my fave, a no-nonsense kind of woman. I didn't like the drawings for the second part of American Dragon, though; the dragon forms look too ugly, I hate how most of the males look. Trixie grew up into a little beauty, so that was cool, but that's about it.

We do not speak about the abomination that is Teen Titans Go!

I like better Legend of Korra, but both are great! I guess I just love, love, love how LoK wasn't afraid to up the ante when needed. Bolin is also one of my favourite characters, and I shipped so hard Borra... Until Opal came, and she was such a sweetie I couldn't stand to keep her away from her Bolin cutiepie <3 Korra is, of course, my fave <3 <3

I still love anime too much. Not only I'm very much in tune with the new stuff, it has a lot fo nostalgia value for me. A good chunk of telly programming, be it national channels or cable channels, was anime. I grew up on the stuff

Well, most of the time I don't care what I'm watching as long as it's not racist, s3xist or hasn't gotten a stoopid plot, and I can be entertained by it. But you asked specifically about ethnically diverse shows.

I didn't really care about who was on air, honestly. I guess for me was different because even ad campaigns in my country are very diverse, even as they s3xualise the women. Also, for me all of those shows were «foreign stuff», so I didn't pay any mind to it other than ‘oh, so that's how the US/Japan are and/or see the world’.

That's one of the cool parts for me about SnK/AoT, that the Titans look soooo creepy!

I don't know and don't care about what Disney is doing right now.

I forgot to mention that there's a really good Muslim cartoon, I think you can get the episodes in Urdu and everything, called The 99. I have gotten my hands on some English dub episodes, and it's great. It's based on a really good comic book (I managed to read the first 4 issues), also called The 99, and it's pretty cool It has good morals and diversity of cultures from all over the Muslim world.

By the way, I didn't understand this bit:

Quote Originally Posted by perfectpanda37@mymelody.com View Post
    And lol the namesake had some of those scenes too, but then again they were more explicit in the book O_O so I was glad they didn't include it in the movie. The 100 has some of those too.
    Please explain

PS: Do tell me if you didn't know any of the shows I mentioned!

Quote Originally Posted by efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com View Post

By the way, I didn't understand this bit:

Please explain

PS: Do tell me if you didn't know any of the shows I mentioned!
    The movie "The Namesake" has some S3xual scenes as well, but they were a bit more....uhhh detailed in the book (it was like 2 pages but still). Some of the shows you mentioned previously I didn't know half of them since they were British lol. The 99 looks interesting, but it is sooo controversial I don't know if I'll be able to find it. I also don't really know Urdu either, I can't read or write it. After a long time I can figure out how to read Urdu, but it's really hard for me. I understand more than I speak, but I can't 100% understand so I need english subtitles :'(
    I kind of understand why "The 99" was controversial, the moment you typed it and said it taught Muslim values, then that's when I figured "oh the 99 names of God?" That is very...weird that the producer decided to do that. I don't really agree with that part either, as sure sometimes humans can have some of those atributes of God, but it's not 100% all the time like God's (I hope I'm making sense)

Either way, since I gave up trying to find shows with South Asian and Muslim characters in english, preferably from the US and Canada, I'm now watching Urdu serials on YouTube on HumTV's channel that occasionally has subbed dramas

This is gonna be a long one.

Yes, well, they may have s3xual scenes, but is The Namesake a good film? A good book?

And the book just had 2 pages? Pfffft, that's tame. Granted, I've read some stuff...And written some stuff, that's probably worse than whatever it is in the book.

Regarding the Urdu, I imagine it can't be easy, but have you tried looking up children's books and stories? Anything will do: An Urdu school text book, a small book, a imple poem... Children's books are written in a more simple language, so they're easy to read and follow That's how I managed with my German. I probably should do the same with my Japanese buuuuuuuuuuuuut I'm a bit of a lazeabout. As for writing it, the only thing you need to learn is the letters, and there are plenty of Arabic calligraphy books out there in the internet, in both Arabic and English, that you can download and do some exercises on. You already know what the words look like, so try to copy texts in Urdu and write them out That's what I did with my Chinese; althoughI've forgotten most of it by now, my kanjis are pretty good for a funny foreigner. Let me tell you from experience you sort of manage to figure out how to write words with enough experience, honest!

However, I must tell you that Arabic has less letters than Urdu! So when you are done practicing the Arabic letters, hit up Wikipedia's page on Urdu and check out the Urdu letters. You're not gonna know which sounds because IPA notation (International Phonetic Alphabet) is a bit clunky if you don't know it, but you can figure them out for yourself by picking out words with the letters in it that you know their pronunciation

Also, once you know how to speak a language in a way that won't get you lost in the bathroo and you can have conversations in it, subtitles become a crutch. I'm telling you this from experience. Lose the subtitles, sweetie Of course, at first is going to be wayyyy hard, but eventually your brain will figure it out. Brains are quite wonderfully designed, don't you think?

Of course it was controversial, because people need to stink up a storm about every good thing. I think the first comic pages are free on the official The 99 website.

To be honest, I think it's intolerant and ignorant people who made up a storm in our side of the world. It hasn't got a Spanish dub, and it's a shame because Latin American broadcasters would probably air it. I mean, there's not that huge hatred around here because we simply aren't terrorists targets, and people don't really tend to think much about Muslims or otherwise. I know we are pretty Christian countries, but Inuyasha and Shaman King aired with virtually no problems. Inuyasha is heavily Shinto and Buddhist-influenced (Miroku is stated explicitly to be a Buddhist monk), and it talks about demons and stuff in ways that are pretty different from Christianity, and nobody cared then; and Shaman King is very animistic, talking about spirits being forces of nature and everything, which is a thing in many religions around the world. And both dubs were excellent; there was even talk of resurrection in Inuyasha and Shaman King (Shaman King featured deals with the Devil!), and that in Christianity is pretty blasphemous unless we talk about the End of Times or Jesus. Or the Devil being a sort of ally. the sh1tstorm about The 99 reminds of when I found out a lot of US people made a fuss that Avatar: The Last Airbender was brainwashing kids into believing Eastern spirituality; that really baffled me when I found out because, down here, no one really gave a sh1t. It's children's TV, how bad can it get? Seriously.

I highly encourage you to look it up, but the story of the conception of The 99 is extremely interesting. Basically, it was conceived by Naif al-Mutawa, who started to look at the rising radicalization of youth around him in the Middle East (he's an Arab). Tradition, that's alright, but once you start blowing yourself up, that's a no-no for him. He started to think about how he could reach the youth. Why do they do that? What makes them tick? So, media became at the forefront, you know? We young people consume a lot of media, and eventually he came up with the idea.

Yes, The 99 is directly inspired by an Islamic religious concept. That's a core precept, and it was informed by al-Mutawa's love for some Western stuff. (Well, I'm employing «West» here since you know what I mean, but I honestly think it's a clunky term for reasons it'd be too long to go into right now).

(I should point out I'm repeating what I've read on the articles and some of what al-Mutawa has stated himself. I honestly don't know if all of these is accurate. You'll be able to have a better perspective than me in that regard).

You see, a lot of the greatest stories the Western has produced have underlying Christian themes that inform the story, even if the story doesn't concern itself with religion. This is because these underlying themes are easily identifiable, and, honestly? A lot of them are pretty great for metaphors. Take for instance, Superman. A lot of people smarter than me have pointed out that Superman is a Jesus-analogue, wrapped in a nice baby-in-a-manger (you know, like Moses) arrival. This kind of stuff enriches a story and gives a broader cultural experience. Harry Potter is basically a broken Messiah in Deathly Hallows: He offers himself up like a lamb (like Jesus is often called in Christendom), dies, and resurrects to save his people (the Magical World). Neither Harry nor Superman pretend to represent God, they're just sort of built up as larger-than-life heroes because of these metaphors.

But there's nothing like it in the Muslim world, even with such rich history and everything. Is there a sci-fi story with a Muhammed-analogue? Not really, no. (Well, actually, there is. It's called the Dune saga, by Frank Herbert. He was an admirer of Arabic culture. Those are some seriously good books). No true fictional characters that could serve as cultural role models, in addition to the historical figures and stuff. When kids say, "I wanna be the Batman!", they are saying they want to be good and fight for justice and be cool, and have gadgets. It's different from when kids say "I wanna be like Jesus!", since they don't really understand all the implications of what they're saying until later in life. The Batman is a whole lot relatable for a child. It's often said that stories are metaphors which are used to instill values on children and that's gotta be not far from the truth. The first thing totalitarian regimes do is to control the narrative of media, of the stories published, and start the long process of brainwashing people. What's the narrative of the Muslim world? What kind of greater-than-life story is there for the kids?

(I should point out again I honestly don't know if all of these is accurate, and it's based off stuf I heard. You'll be able to have a better perspective than me in that regard. I'm done with the origin of the franchise anyway).

Anyway, so the concept was born. I won't comment on the story because that'd be spoilers, but it's not a catch-them-all of all the atributes of Allah for a single person. (Seriously, look up the story).

There are 99 kids, and each kid has a superpower related to one of the names of Allah (not in the theological sense, since that'd be a bit blasphemous, obviously, but in a practical sense). For instance, the one for «The Light» can control rays of light and see in different light spectra (for instance, if she needs night-vision, she switches to infrared radiation). The one for «The Guide» can never get lost and can create a map of any location. The one for «The Destroyer», can basically destroy stuff, and it doesn't sound like much but this character has fighting abilities so it's a very applicable power! And so on and so forth. By the way, the ones I mentioned? All girls.

The other concept of the comic is that the complete 99 kids will never be shown, since we all Abrahamic religions can agree no true or perfect representation of God can be achieved by us puny humans. And since the 99 names are an aspect of Allah, then they can't be shown in its entirety because it'd be like trying to represent Him, and that's so not the point, even if it's a practical re-interpretation of the name in question.

It's pretty popular amongst a lot of Muslims abroad, like in Indonesia, so I assume it's probably not blasphemous. I mean, I do know a little about Islam and stuff and from what I've managed to see in the cartoon and comic, it looks pretty good to me. I kind of really like it. I dig all the different culture stuff so... Well, I don't know. You'll probably have to see it for yourself if you feel a bit iffy on that.

That's not to say other Muslims haven't decried it as blasphemous or something, but, honestly, that's relative. If I grabbed a Jehova's Witnesses textbook (a Christian denomination), I, a Catholic (the biggest Christian denomination), would probably find a lot of heretical stuff. Well, not probably, more like definitely (I know some of their core tenets), so there's that...

Eh, you probably need to make up your own mind about it. *Shrugs*

Sorry for the long post.

Hmmm maybe I'll look into it since you said it's just a superpower sort of like one of the 99 names, as for the Urdu thing, here's the thing I know how to read Arabic in the Quran. I know the letters and everything, Urdu has the same letters but more which is true, but the way the letters are joined together in words is...different? There's a letter called "Hey/Hah" and in arabic there's really only 3 forms of it in writing but in Urdu it's very different. There's more than 3. So it's harder for me to read those words. I have only one children's book in my room, and It's still kind of hard to learn how to read/write Urdu, when you really have no one to speak it to or write things for.

As for the Namesake, yeah the actual book was more than 150 pages, but there were only like 1.5-2 pages of scenes...like that...
    It was a really good book and movie, it had Tabu who I like, and Irfan Khan in it (he's ok) and idk I could really relate to the book since my grandparents and my dad are immigrants.

I see. Well, it's like learning calligraphy, I suppose. Since I'm learning German I've been looking into German calligraphy and practise some, but those seriously don't look like letters, at all.

Have a look for yourself:

I gueess I shoould check out The Namesake, then, if only out of sheer uriosity.

Jhumpa Lahiri is like my author mother, Idk why, but I loved the book SO much. I was so excited when I found out we will be reading "Interpreter of Maladies" this year! Jhumpa is like Cher in terms of famous people I'd like to be as my mom (I like my mom fine of course, but Cher is my celebrity mother and Jhumpa is my author mother lol makes no sense)

So far I'm watching an older show called "Gilmore Girls" and there's not much diversity, other than the girl's Korean friend, then again I like the show since the town is like mine lol where there's not much diversity and everyone's super rich

I'm pretty satisfied with my parents. Sometimes I've wished one of my friends' mothers was mine, but otherwise, I guess I find my parents removed from my existence aside from loving me and having brought me to the world. What I find myself podnering a lot, though, is the decisions I wish my parents had made, or not made at all.

Gilmore Girls is pretty old school, though, you have to consider that. Supposedly Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is going to have a lot more diversity this second (third? I don't really know what are they on right now) season; and I'm told Arrow has a fair bit. They're all good Marvel shows. Daredevil doesn't have that much, but I'm enjoying it a lot. Agent Carter (Marvel, again) isn't exactly diverse, but Peggy Carter (main character) is pretty badass and does everything swiftly and gracefully! Lots of women, but not much diversity. Nevertheless, do consider giving it a try.

The only truly good and diverse one I recall I've seen lately is Sense8 (not Marvel), but it's... uhhh.... quite adult stuff. So. Yeah. A balanced 50/50 cast, bad4ss women, different ethnicities and cultures—all in all, it's pretty great. But out of your age range,