+ Reply to Thread

Foreign Movies and TV shows

I figured I'd make this a thing. What are you're favorite foreign movies and TV shows (try to keep anime at a minimum lol)
    Movies: I have so many favorite bollywood movies that I grew up watching
    - I liked this movie called "Baran" it's an Iranian movie
    - There was this French movie called "Le Papillon" that we watched in French class, and I liked it
    - I really want to watch Persepolis because my grand aunt (I guess?) lived in Iran during the revolution
    - So far the most recent bollywood movie that I liked was Bajrangi Bhaijaan
    - Back in the day I used to watch Korean movies and Japanese movies, but I forgot all about them and their names

TV Shows: This list is longer I think

- This Turkish drama called Asi
    - My dad and his mom really like this Turkish drama called "Aşk-ı Memnu" which my grandma watches in Urdu and it's called "Ishq- e- mamnoo" but I don't like it
    - I liked the Japanese drama adaption of The Wallflower/ Perfect girl evolution/ Yamato Nadeshiko Shichihenge
    - K-Drama "You're Beautiful'
    - K-drama "Boys over Flowers"
    -K- Drama "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho/Kumiho
    - K-Drama (be prepared for a lot of these) called "Secret Garden" it was good but kind of boring
    - Another K- Drama (bear with me) "Coffee Prince"
    -K-Drama "Goong (this was the comic) Princess Hours (this was the drama)"
    -K- Drama "Playful Kiss"
    -K-Drama "Cinderella's Sister" (this was kind of sad and depressing)
    Ok that's all the Korean shows phew

Here were the Japanese shows I liked:
    -Gokusen
    -1 liter of tears (I cried)
    - Hana Yori Dango
    -Nobuta wa Produce (I cried and it was good)
    No more Japanese Shows
    - The drama adaption of "Skip Beat!" was good too but I think it was set in Taiwan?

- I really liked the Pakistani drama "Zindagi Gulzar Hai" I watched it all in 3 days because I have no life, and I could watch it without subtitles and understand half of it

I come from the IMDb boards after the they decided we were expendable, so I do have some knowledge of cinema.

Some, going off memory:

8 1/2 (Italian, drama)
    A Very Long Engagement (French, romantic)
    Chungking Express (Hong Kong, kind of romantic)
    The Classic (Korean, romantic)
    Confessions (Japan, thriller)
    Dellamorte Dellamore (Italian, horror... watch this in English, it is more filmed in English than Italian)
    Hana and Alice (Japan, drama)
    Harakiri (Japan, suspense)
    Hiroshima mon amour (French, drama)
    The Human Condition (Japanese, drama... especially the third movie, but you can't see one without seeing the others)
    Il Gattopardo (Italian, drama)
    Jean de Florette + Manon des Sources (French, drama... there is no seeing one without seeing the other, they are basically two halves of the same film! That said, Manon... is the film which makes it worthwhile.)
    Juliet of the Spirits (Italian, drama)
    La Grande Guerra (Italian, drama)
    Le Notti Bianche (Italian, drama/romance)
    Lola (French, drama)
    Love Exposure (Japanese, hybrid of genres with horror and perversions but mostly at its core it's a Romeo & Juliet type film... it is NOT a Romeo & Juliet adapt but its own unique story, nor is it mutual infatuation for most of the film, but it ultimately the two do fall in love and it has that sense of passion to it)
    Love Letter (1995: Japanese, romance)
    Memories of Matsuko (Japanese, drama... probably the saddest, most deeply affecting film I've ever seen!)
    Peking Opera Blues (Chinese, comedy)
    Sad Movie (Korean, drama)
    Senso (Italian, drama)
    Swallowtail Butterfly (Japanese, action with horrific elements)
    Umberto D (Italian, drama)
    War and Peace (Russian, drama/romance... be careful of versions on DVD of this! Even the best version (briefly available in the UK a few years ago which I believe was ported from the Russian version) was a poor quality release. You practically can't see it with how bad the DVDs are, they'd just ruin it. For one thing, it is a anamorphic lensed widescreen movie and most readily available DVDs not only look horrible but are pan & scan with 50% or more of the screen cropped off. If ever there was a film that needs to be seen in its full scope!)
    Windstruck (Korean, romantic)
    Last edited by dwayne2004@hellokitty.com; 05-27-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Mermaid efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dwayne2004@hellokitty.com View Post
    I come from the IMDb boards after the they decided we were expendable, so I do have some knowledge of cinema.

Some, going off memory:

8 1/2 (Italian, drama)
    A Very Long Engagement (French, romantic)
    Chungking Express (Hong Kong, kind of romantic)
    The Classic (Korean, romantic)
    Confessions (Japan, thriller)
    Dellamorte Dellamore (Italian, horror... watch this in English, it is more filmed in English than Italian)
    Hana and Alice (Japan, drama)
    Harakiri (Japan, suspense)
    Hiroshima mon amour (French, drama)
    The Human Condition (Japanese, drama... especially the third movie, but you can't see one without seeing the others)
    Il Gattopardo (Italian, drama)
    Jean de Florette + Manon des Sources (French, drama... there is no seeing one without seeing the other, they are basically two halves of the same film! That said, Manon... is the film which makes it worthwhile.)
    Juliet of the Spirits (Italian, drama)
    La Grande Guerra (Italian, drama)
    Le Notti Bianche (Italian, drama/romance)
    Lola (French, drama)
    Love Exposure (Japanese, hybrid of genres with horror and perversions but mostly at its core it's a Romeo & Juliet type film... it is NOT a Romeo & Juliet adapt but its own unique story, nor is it mutual infatuation for most of the film, but it ultimately the two do fall in love and it has that sense of passion to it)
    Love Letter (1995: Japanese, romance)
    Memories of Matsuko (Japanese, drama... probably the saddest, most deeply affecting film I've ever seen!)
    Peking Opera Blues (Chinese, comedy)
    Sad Movie (Korean, drama)
    Senso (Italian, drama)
    Swallowtail Butterfly (Japanese, action with horrific elements)
    Umberto D (Italian, drama)
    War and Peace (Russian, drama/romance... be careful of versions on DVD of this! Even the best version (briefly available in the UK a few years ago which I believe was ported from the Russian version) was a poor quality release. You practically can't see it with how bad the DVDs are, they'd just ruin it. For one thing, it is a anamorphic lensed widescreen movie and most readily available DVDs not only look horrible but are pan & scan with 50% or more of the screen cropped off. If ever there was a film that needs to be seen in its full scope!)
    Windstruck (Korean, romantic)
    Okay this is everything and I will have to check some of this out.
    ~You've to take your life how it comes. Your life, it's only one.
    Twins with: santa123fawr (MeSpirit/Mel)