+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mother duckling calls police to save her baby ducklings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uJCkSEJyw0

Senior Member shumibiggi@mymelody.com's Avatar
    I saw that not too long ago, I knew which video it was when I read your description !
    If you fall, I'll be there. - Floor

Either Disney, Disney-Pixar or Dreamworks needs to make a movie based on a mother duck and her children (if they haven't already; I stopped paying attention to most new films after 2012 as I no longer have the room to store my growing collection).

This video was debunked on Snopes: Cuteness like this doesn't exist in real life.

For some reason, he favors (or disfavors) his right body with his balance. I suspect he likes itching himself on the coarseness of that carpet, but it's always the same side. Some spiders move sideways like that, which isn't so cute.
    Last edited by dwayne2004@hellokitty.com; 09-01-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Kittens swim up to random fishermans boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c4KhoCFxzA

This is for all those who don't think cats can have a dog-like kinship with humans. What animal would just go up to a human being asking for help? Evidently ducks and cats. It applies to all animals. You treat them nicely, there is a bond that gets forged. With the duck, she may not get petted but she walks amongst the humans and has learnt to trust them (although they are too comfortable and trusting with crossing busy roads).

I've actually posted this just about everywhere, so I might as well here. This is a true story not embellished in any way. It may make you view insects differently.

I have a bench in my room that had these vertical CD racks ontop of it. More of a shelf, actually, with I think 4 columns. The CDs are pretty close together, so if a bug wanted to walk across the sides of them it could, which is what happened. I saw a cricket doing this, and I just happened to be eating potato crisps (salt and vinegar) at the time. I got the idea to tempt him with a chip. I watched as his antenna moved nearer the chip. Upon touching the chip, the chip was pulled out of my hand and the cricket had jumped somewhere in my room. I was amazed at the strength in his legs. I didn't have a loose grip, he tore it straight out from my grip.

The very next day, I was exploring eating raw chillis (Jalapenos) when I saw him again, probably on the CD racks but I can't remember. What I do remember is sliding out one of the CDs and putting a bit of the chilli on there for him. He went up to it and ate it, head bopping up and down. After he had eaten, he sat guard of the chilli. He was sitting on all 4 likes a cat. When I looked over the CD one time, he moved to the edge of the CD and threatened to attack me.

The next day, upon getting up after an 8 hour sleep, I was about to sit down on my chair which I had been sitting at for many hours over those days in front of the cricket. Then it occurred to me, I had better make sure the cricket wasn't around. I was scared he could be anywhere, including on my chair. I was scared to put my feet on the floor in case I ended up stepping on him. I then saw him, on the front centre of my chair, sitting on his two hind legs looking out (I don't remember if his head was facing directly out, I think it was, but his body certainly was). And he stayed liked that after I saw him. I put my hands over my mouth and sat on my bed.

It looked like he was mimicking my posture! And not only that, about 15 seconds later he began moving off. Was this just a coincidence that he was seated on the front middle of the chair in such a fashion at that particular point, or had he done it for many hours waiting for me to see him? It was a pinch me, am I dreaming moment.

Since that point, I have developed an appreciation for crickets. It pains me that people cook them alive and eat them, including the idiots at Fine Bros. It's amazing how people like animals and even insects can be.
    Last edited by dwayne2004@hellokitty.com; 09-01-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Senior Member shumibiggi@mymelody.com's Avatar
    I saw that video yesterday I think. It is awesome that these men saved these Kittens but it also show how cruel human beings can be because at least one put them there!

That Cricket story is cool.
    If you fall, I'll be there. - Floor

Quote Originally Posted by shumibiggi@mymelody.com View Post
    I saw that video yesterday I think. It is awesome that these men saved these Kittens but it also show how cruel human beings can be because at least one put them there!

Hopefully they didn't take them to a shelter, as they are renowned for putting cats down (many view cats as genocidal to native wildlife even though once cats are adopted into a home and fed, their damage to wildlife is greatly minimized), and kept them or gave them to friends. I've heard it's an old video posed as a new video in wake of the flood caused by the hurricane. I'd like to see how the story ended...

Quote Originally Posted by shumibiggi@mymelody.com View Post
    It was 15 or more years ago now, but bear in mind that life no matter how tiny might be more intelligent than we assume. Just as a duck calling for help to save it's ducklings, or cats swimming up to human strangers on a boat, animals constantly surprise us. Brain size probably just means how much storage they can have for long term recollection or how complicated the nervous system is. I have heard that brain size to body weight is an indicator of intelligence. After all, dinosaurs had much bigger brains than we do but were likely intellectually just big versions of common animals. Could it be that insects are just as intelligent as a common household pet? And maybe they differ in intelligence species to species, like humans do to other mammals; could crickets be a stand out intellectually among insects?

*More on this with the edit at the bottom of this post. Insects have ganglia all over their body that control various functions so their brain doesn't just fit into their heads, but over their entire bodies. It's possible they have a bigger brain to body mass than non-insect animals!

That was the final most important paragraph of a post I made. The first 4 paragraphs if anyone wants to read it. I know people just see it as a wall of endless text that could fend off White Walkers and Wildlings:

The more complete cricket story was that at the time I used a portable stereo that I moved about from both ends of my room, as I had to listen to it through headphones and the chord isn't that long. I had just set up the stereo and was about to sit down when it occurred to me I should look behind me on the chair for the cricket just in case. I had been worried about stepping anywhere on my bedroom floor in case I'd hurt him. It was the second time in 2 days I had performed the ritual. I think I had forgotten about him that morning until it dawned on me at that moment. So I very nearly crushed him by sitting on him!

So what do you do if it looks like an insect is trying to communicate? I'd like to say I made him into my pet, but truth is as he was walking to the side of the chair and my desk I knew at that instant I needed to capture him and put him outside. Why? Because before it was just an insect, now if I inadvertantly crushed him as I almost did I'd feel a hundred times worse. So I went to capture him and it was harder than I thought it would be. I was chasing the poor thing about with a container as he was hopping trying to escape, and I feel terrible. I think the last time he either gave in or trusted me, but I put him out in the yard where the were probably any number of threats to him. I wouldn't know the first thing about keeping a cricket as a pet, and by the time I would have that organized anyway I'd have risked killing him many times over.

I wasn't happy about either situation...

Why am I bringing all this up? Because it raises the possibility it was all a coincidence. What if he toppled back a bit because moments later I was standing in front of him and about to sit down on him? Maybe he was just coincidentally walking about the chair up to that point trying to go somewhere else? All I know is what I saw. It might have been a coincidence, but all I know is what played out before my eyes. I did actually literally pinch myself because it was only just after I had awoken but it was all in one continuity: the ideal, fantasy like image of a cricket mimicking my posture in such a position for a long enough time for me to rule it out being an illusion or imagination, to him very slowly walking back in the direction of the desk, to the less than ideal chasing him about, scaring him half to death trying to capture him and take him outside.

EDIT: https://bioteaching.wordpress.com/20...-intelligence/
    And this leads to a realisation that every biologist interested in this field has to understand, and one that I’ve brought up several times. Correlating overall brain size and cognition is pointless, since an increase in brain size is simply an increase in processing power needed for supporting a larger organism. It will not lead to higher intelligence. A Caenorhabditis elegans worm, with its 302 neurons, is capable of learning. This is not a marvelous fact – it’s to be expected. The real surprise comes from the fact that so many animals have such large brains! All the basic components of neurons are present in vertebrates and insects, and are probably shared from their last common ancestor. Cognitive ability does not come from new types of neurons, or just more neurons. It is new links between different bundles of neurons that lead to tangible changes in behaviour: to understand the brain, we don’t look at the size of it, but at how its different components interact.
    Last edited by dwayne2004@hellokitty.com; 09-04-2017 at 07:50 PM.

I posted my story to that page but it wasn't printed. I went looking around and the guy has a new site with his old content, so I posted there in case it missed getting approved because of the change of place. That said, it is very long and I understand why it wouldn't get posted. But I am very serious about my cricket story. Some things that might not be apparent in writing was how stark it was. None of it looked accidental. The positioning, the angle, how the cricket was sitting. That said, I had pictured in my head a chair I wasn't using at the time so some of my memory may be erroneous now.

I chanced upon the guy who wrote that blog contributing in an article. It looks like he is something of an expert on insect intelligence. The article has this bit that I find interesting:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...g-in-the-world

But perhaps the best-known and most insane bit of intelligence from bees is what’s known as the “waggle dance.” This is a method of communication that the bee uses to tell other bees in the hive the location of a flower or source of food. Here’s how it works: a bee performs the dance on a vertical surface inside the hive. The dance is shaped like a coffee bean: roughly, an oval with a line down the middle. Dancing straight up means to fly in the direction of the sun, straight down means away from the sun, and left and right mean to fly to the left or the right of the sun.

The bee travels in a figure-eight pattern, tracing the line in the middle before performing the loops around the outside of the coffee bean shape. The amount of time it takes the bee to make its circuit around the outside of the coffee bean tells other bees how far away the food source is: a one-second loop means, roughly, that the food source is a kilometer away. The longer the loop, the farther away the food source is.

The bee will repeat this dance many times to indicate the quality of the food source: a really great one will find the bee doing this over and over again, yelling “IT’S A KILOMETER NORTHWEST OF HERE, IT’S A KILOMETER NORTHWEST OF HERE, IT’S A KILOMETER NORTHWEST OF HERE” for minutes on end. A decent but not quite as good source might find the bee repeating the message only a few times.

“The honey bee dance is unique insomuch as they’re using symbols,” says Chittka. “No other animal besides humans has that.” Even other primates don’t use symbols: an ape like a chimpanzee may point at a desired object, or lead others to it, but it won’t use an abstract symbol or message to indicate what it wants to convey. The honey bee’s waggle dance is a wildly intelligent attribute; it enables a bee to very efficiently convey detailed information to a large group, and also can be done in the safety of the hive, where other animals can’t overhear.

I don't know if what I saw counts as an abstract symbol message or not? But it certainly looked like it was telling me something!

I also don't get how the waggle dance hasn't been turned into a dance craze yet. Or maybe it has? :/

Insects are known to mimic other insects, but besides the one account of ants mimicking spiders I've found, it does not involve posture, but usually camouflage such as colours.
    Last edited by dwayne2004@hellokitty.com; 09-10-2017 at 07:53 PM.