+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Autism

Senior Member santa123fawr@hellokitty.com's Avatar

Autism

I feel this thread may get some activity here :P Is anyone else beside's me here autistic? Or has dealt with autistic people in general in their lives? There's a lot of sites about the condition online, if you're curious to learn more about it.

Autism has made life pretty challenging for me....it's made me prone to extreme 'black and white' (like things only one way or only another way?) type of thinking, obsessions, and a lot of crazy phobias (i have real meltdowns over bad smells, including bathroom ones, and certain words, and yelling and drama overall can make me extremely jumpy).

I've been homeschooled due to my condition. It may of made me more confused about the outside world; something i'm not sure I feel quite easy about talking more about. But yeah. I'd be curious what others here have to say about the autism condition

On the spectrum, I classify as 'high fuctioning autism' (which used to be called 'aspergers syndrome'. that term always confused me; i'm glad they changed it to 'high fuctioning autism' now XD; )

EDIT: Thought i'd mention this, since it cropped up when I looked at another thread. I have a MAJOR phobia of the 'guys' term and being addressed by it. It makes me so angry and i often have major meltdowns, when that term is used, ESPECIALLY directed towards ME. I dislike it to an extreme and it causes me tons of anxiety i see the term as sexist and negative and just plain MEAN.

^ That there is one of the very things I have autistic struggles with. My brain can't process/understand WHY people use that term. At all....'expression' or not i just see it as AWFUL.
    Last edited by santa123fawr@hellokitty.com; 07-05-2017 at 04:17 PM.
    I AM Santa123fawr

I have a crush on Korrina from Pokemon x and y that....i feel i need to tell the whole net about cuz it's real big and stuff o.o;

My gender is irrelevant, have a nice day now.
    And I didn't make my awesome av :3 xD

I am not diagnosed, but I score within the range. I am a bit atypical, if I am. I can read peoples faces well, according to online tests, so have emotional intelligence (although I seldom use it). I have heard most people with it vary considerably in what effects them and how it effects them. Some people are sensitive to sound, others are sensitive to smell, others are sensitive to touch; sometimes all three, sometimes all three at different points in their lives. I was and still am very data minded. I remember as a kid spending hours writing out statistics by hand over and over and over. I am also very OCD.

I have always been a loner. I have found it extraordinarily difficult to interact in social environments. I have always had a sensitivity to sound, and when I reached my late teens either certain kinds I was not hearing before began to get under my skin or my condition worsened. At least it showed signs of it. Something happened I won't go into, I was going through a personally traumatic period and I began associating sounds with an intense claustrophobic-like reaction. It put my mind into a panic. It felt like I was being erased internally, which I now know is dissociation. Everyone has trouble thinking when there are loud noises around them, I think it is an extreme of the same kind of thing. I can't say what happened, but it was unpleasant. It is censored on mental health boards, it is certainly not Hello Kitty friendly.

Eventually I went into a hypnotic trance to the sounds and I observed my body acting out a program. Once again, this is dissociation. This is not autism. This is a manifestation of a dissociative disorder, probably post-traumatic stress disorder. Probably a level most with PTSD will never experience because people know and care when people are in severe distress and don't continue to push them for hours a day, several times a day, every day for years when they are in clear discomfort.

I also have an intense aversion to my past life. I can't stand faces, sounds. Images become burned into my head. I once walked out into traffic causing a bus to slam on the breaks trying to get away, felt like a puppet on strings. They don't want to call it what it is, because they have their cutesy cliched notions about PTSD and can't think out of the box. It is possible I've gone through a form of PTSD called Complex-PTSD, and it might be spiralling off undiagnosed autism or something of that nature. I have been diagnosed as BPD (borderline personality disorder) which often overlaps with PTSD. There are two camps: those who feel BPD should be classified as C-PTSD due to the overlap of symptoms and those who feel C-PTSD is distinct from BPD. IMO, I think they are distinct conditions but they tend to throw C-PTSD people into the BPD grouping.
    Last edited by dwayne2004@hellokitty.com; 07-05-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Interesting post, dwane o.o

I may have post tramatic stress a little too. There's some things I cannot tolerate due to negative past experiences (like hearing/reading negative things about the outside world *especially 'SCHOOLS'...*, or being yelled at. both relate to harsh experiences i've went through with my dad and negative online people).
    I AM Santa123fawr

I have a crush on Korrina from Pokemon x and y that....i feel i need to tell the whole net about cuz it's real big and stuff o.o;

I honestly can't associate with much I read about BPD. However, I can tick every box for C-PTSD. Before WW1, they didn't have any label for the condition. Then they had shellshock, which continued until the '70s when returning Vietnam vets began showing signs of what eventually became known as PTSD.

Pretty much over the last 30 or so years, they have branched it out to all kinds of domestic traumas, including child abuse, rape and seeing people killed in various medical and law enforcement professions, and even dispatchers who handle 911 calls who are never in harms way or seeing anything imprinting (with sight being the most aggressive sense).

Somehow this condition that didn't have a name for thousands of years suddenly pops up and they begin realizing it. It is testament to how slow the progress of the study of psychology is and the fact that things can look them square in their face and they can miss it because they are looking for preconceived notions of what constitutes PTSD. It is all very archaic and closed-minded. We live in a know-it-all era, where they think they have it all figured out and the truth is they aren't even close!

You will eventually find (maybe not in our lifetimes) that it is part of the human experience and traumas can also be repressed in PTSD. This mainly occurs in childhood as children have developing brains and are better able to block things off and compartmentalize them. You will find they will often flashback, but in the form of emotional flashbacks: rather than vivid visual imprints, they will panic when 'no go' areas of their mind are being triggered. You will find it is primarily a stress condition, not a traumatic one, that creates phobias. You will find people have highly personalized concepts of what constitutes traumas, and it can also be highly internalized. You will find, for instance, that a highly stress prone child with autism may find it more traumatic being subjected to a barrage of noises despite hours of self-harm every day for years than a dispatcher who hears of someone who may or may not have died over a phone line.
    Last edited by dwayne2004@hellokitty.com; 07-06-2017 at 05:36 PM.

I have other friends with autism, too. I don't relate to a lot of other aspies much cuz they always seem to have a bit of a dislike towards 'girly' things, or always end up half girly/half masculine? I can't relate to that 'cuz i'm AT LEAST 75% girly girl overall. Probably a lot more of a girly girl than that. Outside pokemon stuff, i pretty much only like/look at girly things, though lately there are some girly things that don't appeal to me as much anymore XD Like disney princesses (outside elena and sofia~) and tinkerbell feel more awkward for me now?
    I AM Santa123fawr