+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Feedback

Senior Member leeling1289@mymelody.com's Avatar
    One thing that really annoys me when gaming is how the camera angle is stuck in the same spot. It would be nice if you could change the camera angle and zoom in an out to an extent.
    Check out my blog
    Lee's little lines

In-game name
    Leeling

Member eveaustria@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    leeling1289, it's just not possible to change the "camera"-angle in a 2D-game, because the scenery is just a flat picture that cannot be turned. To change the whole game into 3D would eat up an enormous amount of time, money and manpower; I doubt Sanrio Digital would ever be able to accomplish this.

Zooming should be possible though, but of course this function would take quite some time to be coded as well - and it might not look all that great in the end, just either blurred or pixelated...

Also I'd like to list my objections to the opening post, since these are just personal opinions and not "assured facts"

* why are only 2 HKO-servers mentioned? There is the US-/Canada-server, and there are three international servers: the UK-server, the German server and the French server. There should also be an Malaysian/Singapure server, and maybe even more that I'm not so sure about. The Indonesian and Brazilian servers had to be closed, the Philippine HKO had some troubles too when being transferred to the international servers http://www.hellokittyonline.com/news...he-philippines , but HKO Thailand may still be up http://www.hellokittyonline.com/news...game-show-2010 . And shouldn't there be an Hongkong/Chinese-server too?

* I think the pet system is totally not better than at other games. HKO should be more suited for children instead of having them loose their pet forever just because of being close to other player-characters and their "uncompatible" pets for too long Isn't HKO supposed to be a cooperative online-game where you can meet people? Also it surely can't be a "good lesson" for children that you can starve your HKO-pet without getting any penalties. Even worse: the cute extra-animation of extremely hungry pets (0 points of satiation) might even be seen as a "reward" for making your HKO-pet starve.

* an animation making it look like the character was running instead of the current walking-like animation might not change the progression-speed of the character through an area. Only the feeling/illusion of how fast the progression "seems" to be would change if the character would appear to be running because of another kind of animation. Making the character appear to be walking fits the old-console-type-graphics (Zelda-like) well, and the Hello-Kitty-theme of the game too, since HKO isn't really an "action-game". In those typical action-filled MMORPGs out there featuring fighting as the main activity it's fitting to have the character jog/run all the time of course, but this permanent running motion also looks very unrealistic too. So every option has a good and a bad side as well

* are you sure that the avatars of HKO are made in 3D? I don't think so since they can only turn in 8 directions and can only be viewed from a fixed isometric angle. They might just be drawn in a way to make them "appear" 3D-like, which wouldn't be hard to do. Some NPCs like Cho-cho or Oyakata for instance can never be seen from the front nor from behind, and it's the same with furniture, which would substantiate my suspicion.

* I'd say that "extremely low population" and "the game needs more effective marketing/advertising" should be listed as two different things. I don't believe that more advertising could really solve the problem of having a low population since you can meet new players on the newbieland regularily. Nearly all of them will quit after a very short period of trying out the game though. The lack of endgame-content must partly be responsible for the "dying out" of the former much larger community of 2009 as well.
    Last edited by eveaustria@hellokitty.com; 04-19-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: found another phrasing error, sorry for my lacking English
    Auf meinem Blog http://blog.sanriotown.com/eveaustria:hellokitty.com/ findet ihr Tips für HKO-Spieler. Darunter Fundorte aller Rohstoffe (mit Stufe/Level), Standorte aller NPCs & Monster (mit Level), Pet-Werte (auch Bosse), und eine deutschsprachige Anleitung fürs Bloggen auf Sanrio-Town

Senior Member acton@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Just a word on advertising; historically and culturally Sanrio was never big on advertising. After all Sanrio became a billion dollar company with very little investment in advertising.

Nothing lyssariia@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eveaustria@hellokitty.com View Post
    ...* why are only 2 HKO-servers mentioned? There is the US-/Canada-server, and there are three international servers: the UK-server, the German server and the French server....
    Actually, there are only two servers, them being US/Canada and International while English, French and German are all "worlds". US/Canada only has one world, while International has three. The difference is a server contains all of the character information while a world is another "channel" you can visit using the same server information. As for other active versions, I'm not sure of these aside from the Thailand version (which I'll add in now).. but since other ones are not currently active or being recognized by the hellokittyonline.com website, I cant put it up yet.

...Even worse: the cute extra-animation of extremely hungry pets (0 points of satiation) might even be seen as a "reward" for making your HKO-pet starve....
    I agree that the pet system needs some adjustments, and I'm adding your points on the list after my reply. Personally, I feel that the animation isn't cute so I try to hide it with the jelly emote which of course is just a fancy way of torturing your pet.

* an animation making it look like the character was running instead of the current walking-like animation might not change the progression-speed of the character through an area. Only the feeling/illusion of how fast the progression "seems" to be would change if the character would appear to be running because of another kind of animation. Making the character appear to be walking fits the old-console-type-graphics (Zelda-like) well, and the Hello-Kitty-theme of the game too, since HKO isn't really an "action-game". In those typical action-filled MMORPGs out there featuring fighting as the main activity it's fitting to have the character jog/run all the time of course, but this permanent running motion also looks very unrealistic too. So every option has a good and a bad side as well
    The comment about running was about increasing the progression speed (possibly from the use of a hotkey) as opposed to just a graphics revamp. I'll edit the point to make it clearer. For some players it's fast enough, but other players complained which is why I must add it in to the general perspective of the game. It's a summary of all the feedback I've received, not just from one opinion.

* are you sure that the avatars of HKO are made in 3D? I don't think so since they can only turn in 8 directions and can only be viewed from a fixed isometric angle. They might just be drawn in a way to make them "appear" 3D-like, which wouldn't be hard to do. Some NPCs like Cho-cho or Oyakata for instance can never be seen from the front nor from behind, and it's the same with furniture, which would substantiate my suspicion.
    A 3d character can move in any direction that it's programmed to.. so they may not be programmed to do certain actions. Alternatively, they may have used a 3d program to render sprites of the avatar making it work similar to a .gif image. I do believe it has a 3d feel, similar to the resources, NPCs and monsters but since we won't know for sure without someone official commenting, I'll remove the part about 3d avatars for now.

I guess the main issue is having realistic features walking around on a seemingly flat background since the view never shifts. You can also see different angles of every NPC by standing in front or behind them and interacting, then closing the speech window. It's only for an instant, but still possible.

* I'd say that "extremely low population" and "the game needs more effective marketing/advertising" should be listed as two different things. I don't believe that more advertising could really solve the problem of having a low population since you can meet new players on the newbieland regularily. Nearly all of them will quit after a very short period of trying out the game though. The lack of endgame-content must partly be responsible for the "dying out" of the former much larger community of 2009 as well.
    I'll separate those two, and lacking new content was what was meant from "Does not have updates often enough to keep players interested" but I'll reword it to make it clearer as well.

Thanks for all the input!
    Last edited by lyssariia@hellokitty.com; 04-20-2011 at 01:40 AM.

HKO Int: Hi US/C: Ly | My Blog | HKO Wiki

Member eveaustria@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Thanks for your answers, Ly

Ah, "world vs. server" - that's totally new to me. Sorry for that and thanks for explaining! I wouldn't have guessed, since I know that the German server has really been a totally separate server in 2009 operated and supported by Burda:IC located in Germany before the data was transferred to Sanrio Digital.

Hehe, since HKO-pets are virtual, you cannot torture them - so no worries On the other hand it wouldn't be so bad to teach children how to take care of a virtual pet regularily - and not to starve pets on purpose to see them doing their cute fighting animations (Pyrodon spitting fire, brushtails doing summersaults, squetdrops rotating in the air), no?

Uh, I would not even want a faster walking-/running-progression for HKO! Please take a look at the background when walking a straight line in HKO - it's already juddering a bit, can you see? It could be much worse if the character had to advance even faster; looking just like a slideshow I fear.

And it really doesn't take much time to get from one spot to another - the walking-animation just makes it appear to be a bit slow I think that it's just human to fall for this kind of illusion: seeing someone "walking" makes one think that the progression must be "slow" just because of that.

However; since I'm also playing other games I know that complains about travelling-speed are totally common: "My horse is running much too slow", "There aren't enough teleport-spots", "I have to jump a lot while running since this makes my char advance swifter", "There should be a fast-running skill (speed up, enhanced running) at least for time-limited use" and so on...

"New" content like add-ons and long-time events should be a different thing from "endgame-content", no? "Endgame-content" could be something like:
    * the special-seeds-feature (who didn't love it? But it's already mentioned in the first post)
    * repeatable quests like from the material merchants (only the rewards are lacking. Oh, I really hate quests that involve forcing useless stuff on other players…)
    * Choco's chocolatey pizza (I still try to deliver it daily and wish there was some more rare stuff to win at the capsule machine…)
    * "collections" similar to the last quests on the Dream Carnival collecting clothing and pure dreams
    * "donations" like for Anthony on the Dream Carnival spawning Pinatas (but doesn't it seem bugged?)
    * something like the 3 houses you can build up on the Dream Carnival (a ranking-list would be nice too)

In other MMORPGs "endgame-content" would often consist of PvP and "raids" though. But you can also keep players busy by maintaining and/or levelling up character-posession like pets (for a reward!) and keeping up a virtual economy by crafting stuff regularily. Some MMORPGs feature very interesting endgame-stuff like breeding creatures to an infinitive number of mixed breeds (with stats to optimize and rare colors) or hidden stuff to search for by digging everywhere or treasure-maps showing up by chance and so on.

Sorry that this is a bit off-topic now since it's gotten more like a suggestion to improve the game somehow...
    Auf meinem Blog http://blog.sanriotown.com/eveaustria:hellokitty.com/ findet ihr Tips für HKO-Spieler. Darunter Fundorte aller Rohstoffe (mit Stufe/Level), Standorte aller NPCs & Monster (mit Level), Pet-Werte (auch Bosse), und eine deutschsprachige Anleitung fürs Bloggen auf Sanrio-Town

Thanks eve! I appreciate the comments ^^ I'll also add on the part about endgame content, I didn't think of it that way.

After spending some time away from HKO and seeing what other games are doing and how they stay successful I think it is possible to have things improve without requiring more money or resources. If you guys want your feedback to have the best chance to reach the people that make the difference, please also send your comments to help@hellokittyonline.com. They are willing to hear our suggestions and feedback. I'll personally be sending one off in a moment with the feedback I've received from everyone.

The more people that send in an email, the better! I don't think all of the staff can see everything the players experience, so it's up to us to show them. It's also helpful to try to solve the issues that are ailing the game with suggestions so they have something to think about. Also, don't be afraid to be blunt and honest. Honesty is the kind of feedback the game needs for things to really improve.

I personally suggested proper communication from management and the developers since we all know it has been slim to none. How hard is it to pass over proper notes? How about acknowledging their product is failing and doing -something- about it whether it's a simple update about what's being worked on without giving away all the details. For all we know, the game could have been deserted and the only thing keeping it alive is the GMs. I personally wouldn't recommend spending a single cent on this game until we know for sure it's not getting abandoned.
    Last edited by lyssariia@hellokitty.com; 04-23-2011 at 02:36 AM.

Junior Member seepasther@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    I personally feel that the game itself has fallen into the hands of lazy members of the company who are supposed to run this thing altogether. I have never come across a game where there has been a HUGE delay of updates coming from the developers and organizers, especially when this game isn't even in Beta anymore.

Of course, I haven't been around in-game often to check what's been going on, but I am sure that I'm not the only one who has been inactive due to the horrible lack of updates.

I can understand that the developers are possibly dealing with other matters and have no time to fill in everyone about what's going on, but this is starting to become ridiculous. Whoever their boss is, he/she should just fire them and hire actual dedicated workers. Either do your dang job right or get the boot.

Even if HKO is generally made to attract younger players, we older players would appreciate more fun too. Not the kind of fun involving a quest that takes BORING LONG HOURS to complete (i.e. New York).

At this rate, HKO is pretty much a trash dump. The player population will decrease more and more everyday. What will happen after that? HKO is pretty much going to lose the revenue and shut down. NO MONEY FOR YOU. PFT.

It's not like I'm sitting at a desk eating bonbons all day.

Senior Member auntdotti@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    About not feeding your pets:

It is rather expensive when you are just starting out. Maybe move Anthony's quest in Paris where you learn how to make "Flora Stew" (a pet food made with sage, mulberries and honey) and have you actually learn it while you are in Floropolis (from a different NPC of course- maybe Bagel or Scone).

As for the animations of attacking pets make when they are hungry- maybe make it to the animation when they are knocked out. They follow you when you move, but "fall asleep" as soon as you stop.

Also, I think that there should be a reward for keeping them full: the more full they are, the better stat boosts they give. At 100% full, they give you 100% of their potential stat boosts. I'd make it mean- the give you a penalty when they are super hungry. Keep petting them how you stop them from running away, but they won't have the energy to help you out when they are hungry.
    HKO in game name:

Thanks for posting your honest feedback, seepasther! and I really like those suggestions dotti ^^

If we're given more incentive to keep our pets fed at least then we can associate feeding our virtual pets with something positive instead of viewing it as a chore with next to no advantages. It also makes up for pets that are equipped but not out getting hungry too while their comfort stays the same.

Senior Member danceunderstars@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Seeing as I just logged in to HKO to find that it's basically a ghost town... and the only person online from my full friends list is the GM on duty... I am bored and decided I would write here.

I don't think I have anything new to say, but I guess I can agree with things already said. For one, yes, I think more storage is defintiely needed. Honestly, I do not see at alllll, how people are supposed to go on questing (if Tokyo ever comes out...) when their storage and inventory are full. I physically don't think it would be possible. I know that I am to the point that I can't even produce some recipes without shuffling around items to make room in my inventory to hold all the ingredients. So how in the world are we supposed to gather/chop/etc items where you get multiple things at a time... and have nowhere to put them in order to complete quests, in the future? More storage space would absolutely be needed for any new quest lines, I think.

Also, I think new items to the Item Mall for Loyalty Points would be nice. Seeing as LP is basically the only thing given from events (when there are events....) I would like to see some new items to actually spend the LP on. Maybe then players would actually want the LP.... In my opinion though, it all goes back to storage once again. Who is going to buy items in the Item Mall when they have nowhere to put them...? (And they are NT so it's not like you can store them elsewhere....)

Another suggestion I have would be some kind of "make-up remover".... For the make-up/face paint/tattoos, whatever they are called lol, it would be nice to be able to know that you are not stuck with the actual thing once using it. I know that I have had a face paint for like a year now, and I won't use it because I know I can never go back to plain old skin haha...

Well I think it's obvious that everyone would like some new content... HKO is so empty lately... it really is sad.

~Dance :]