+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Umm... question about shaving legs?

I hope I can explain clearly...

I'm a guy, and I have a friend that's a girl. She talks to me about a lot of stuff but today she asked me something and I hope I didn't give her bad advice. :/

She said that she recently shaved her legs because her friends said she should and now her legs feel kind of sunburned. She lifted up her pant leg a little and showed me and it looked sort of red. I asked if she had a lot of hair to begin with and she said no. Uhm... so I asked if she really needed to shave anyway. She said that she did because her friends do.

Here are my questions:

1.- It's wintertime here, and not warm enough to wear shorts, so wouldn't it be okay to just skip shaving until summer?

2.- Why do girls have to shave their legs?(unless they look like my neighbor, he has super hairy legs!) If it causes rashes, why put yourself through all the trouble?

Hope this isn't a dumb question. :/

It's time to rock with Hello Kitty kittynator@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Shaving legs is optional, but the hair on your legs will itch after a time.

I'm a guy as well, but I have very little hair on my legs.
    Note 1: DO NOT COPY my user name/account for yours. Impersonating other users is strictly forbidden.

Note 2: Any beta content I post or mention, cannot be copied for yourself or others. Don't impersonate or ask for beta players. Yes, I'm a former beta player.

Note 3: I'm busy with non HKO things, but my home page will help you out with the game. Feel free to contact me if you have questions or /w Kittynator in HKO. I use Kittynator on both servers.

Note 4: Be nice to me and others.

Senior Member victor5@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    I'm a male, anyways...
    1. Yeah, since it's Winter she should stop shaving her legs until Spring especially since she does't have much.

2. Most girls prefer hair in 3 places “top of the head, eye brows and eye lashes” though some from other country prefer to have hair in other places. So it's really normal and almost (like 99%) of the ones I know shave there legs.
    Another thing, there are some ways to shave if she shaves wrong, she could get more red/itchy and her hair could bury themself causing foliculatis (or something like that).

I think a lot of girls shave because it's ingrained in their minds that "body hair" is unattractive. I don't shave my legs very often since I don't have a lot of hair on my legs, but when I plan to do something special I do shave. And it does come from looking in the mirror and feeling like I don't look as good with hair on my legs rather than having my legs hair free.
    I don't condone women who choose not to shave body hair however. It shows that they don't care about something as trivial as body hair, and that needs to be respected.

If your friend feels like she needs to shave and doesn't want the rashes she should take good care of her skin (use good shaving cream and clean razor; exfoliate the skin well; use lotion with aloe vera). Or if she wants to find other methods she should consider waxing or buying an epilator.

Thanks for your insight, you guys. I really appreciate it. I don't know much about the whole stigmatism with not shaving, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by myss_blewm@hellokitty.com View Post
    I don't condone women who choose not to shave body hair however. It shows that they don't care about something as trivial as body hair, and that needs to be respected.
    Er, I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand this statement.

I don't know how she shaved, but I'll pass the info along, myss_blewm, thank you. :3

When I first started shaving, I found disposable razors were not good for overall body use. She will need to try and get herself a proper lady razor because they are designed for more for that kind of use.

I also agree with myss_blewm; if she regularly gets sore, it's best for her to use some kind of lotion to help her skin recover.

It is quite sad really but it's fashionable to keep yourself shaven. Try to remind your friend that she needs to do what makes her happy - imitation is only a form of flattery and it's only a short term source of happiness.

Well shaving is really a matter of choice. And in certain countries having "hair on your legs" is gross and almost manly. Some girls really don't have to shave because they have very sparse amount of hair and their hair is thin. There are some girls who were born with very thick hair and it is very obvious. But of course it's a matter of choice if you want to shave or not. Sometimes girls shave when they know they're going to the beach or will be showing off their legs. And there are others who wear long pants and feel that there's not use in shaving. And really girls will shave/wax/tweezer every part of their bodies sometimes... and it's all in the name of beauty.

However for your friend... she could be shaving without shaving cream. That could cause really HORRIBLE razor burn which looks like a sunburn. And like myss_blewm said... make sure to exfoliate this will help with ingrown hairs if she has really thick hair! But hopefully she'll find what's more comfortable with her. And really all girls have their hairy stubble and most of us will laugh it off and say oop! missed a spot! :P

Oh my funkiness, I kinda forgot about this. x_x;; Sorry.

lilbuta@hellokitty.com- Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. She says she isn't gonna shave anymore for a while, but I'm definitely gonna pass on what you said. Thank you. She's got some brand name razor that her mom bought for her with replaceable cartridges... O.o I don't know if they make the same type of shavers they do for guys faces as for ladies though.

hyperliltenshi@hellokitty.com- Her legs don't look hairy to me, but I guess it's just one of those things. Waxing sounds like pure torture to me. >.< Woof.

The first time she tried, she said that she tried just using water. o.o Maybe I could 'borrow' my guardians face shaving cream? Cause if you use it on your face, it should be good enough for legs, right?

I don't think she has thick hair on her legs. I mean, she didn't earlier this year. O_o I'll mention exfoliating though, I thought that was just something you do on your face?

Thank you guys, again, for your opinions and advice. :3 (and for not laughing at me for not knowing, this is such a foreign concept to me)

No problem ^^ But yes there is a difference between a man's razor and a women's razor. A man's razor can endure the thick hair on a man's face which can cause even more irritation on a woman's legs and other areas. So I really don't recommend sharing haha.

I'm not sure about shaving creams... between women and men other than different scents. She might not enjoy having a manly cologne smell. However I do recommend buying razors that have built in shave bars. I'm a bit lazy and I don't really like using shaving creams/gels... and those shave bars just cuts my time in half haha. She could try that I use Venus Breeze. It has a nice smell to it. But there are other on the market.

And don't worry about this foreign concept. She's lucky to even have a guy listen to her like this! Usually most girls would ask a fellow gal for advice. So you're a really great friend

hyperliltenshi- Yeah, the shaving cream my guardian has smells minty or something. e_o; So we went to the store and bought some lavender scented stuff. And some 'Gillette' or something razors. I think it had a shave bar on it, it said it helped skin. I'll mention Venus Breeze, in case she doesn't like the one she got this time around.

Aw, thank you, that's such a compliment! I try to help but sometimes things get sorta... confusing.