+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member auntdotti@hellokitty.com's Avatar

[Suggestion ] Advertise HKO!

I guess this is as good of a place to put this as anywhere.

I know funds are tight at SD right now. But you have to advertise this game better. The people in the "regular" online games community think that the existence of Hello Kitty Online is just a way to dismiss people who complain about their behavior ("Go play Hello Kitty Online."). They don't realize it's a real game. Part of that was because it was part of a joke on South Park... And the servers are ghost towns outside of events.

Maybe submitting press releases to large MMORPG web sites when we do charity events would help make people in the "regular" online game community know this is a real game. As for the general gaming population, maybe send copies of the game to places that review computer games (on and off the web). Or even the above press releases.

And, ideally, you need a way to bring in people who don't game at all (such as a younger target audience). Unfortunately, the best way to do that here in the US is to run a commercial on a channel aimed at kids (Cartoon Network comes to mind). Fortunately (to borrow a forum game), you already have a really catchy thing to play- the video for "The World is Saying Hello". People might play just to get the song out of their heads (For those who haven't seen the video, here's a link to the YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fe4jJFxAtQ&feature=related

Does anyone in the "regular" online games community know of a way that we, the players, can help bump the name recognition of the game? I'm pretty sure that myself and a few of the other long term players would be willing to put in some effort to give the game a boost.

Senior Member dudette4475@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Yeah! HKO needs more players! This is a great idea!! To be a 'massively' multiplayer game, it doesn't seem so massive when it comes to the volume of players, except when a new area or event opens, like you said.

Maybe you can get some popular blogs to host a little banner ad for HKO. Or spread it more to the world of Facebook! That's where I learned about it. My mom found it and she was like, "Hey, have you heard about Hello Kitty Online???" And hence my discovery of Sanriotown and HKO was founded. You could also do/post stuff on Twitter, MySpace, all that stuff.

As for your Cartoon Network idea, I think that's awesome. But most stuff on CN is geared towards guys (but I'm a girl and I watch CN so who knows...), so I'm not sure what the execs will think of showing off what many call a "girls' game." Nickelodeon would probably be a bit more accepting. There's plenty of boys and girls and there's quite a range of ages that watch that channel. You can also try appealing to Disney Channel. (though Disney Channel has a large base of younger child fans ages 4-9. And technically HKO is for 13+, right?) If we can get more players, I think HKO will be a lot more fun. Even if it is just a social reason we have for getting more players...
    The best things in life are free... Except for chocolate!

I have been saying this for months now. Even though many players are finished with game quests, I think more of them would still get on the game to socialize if there were more people to socialize with. I know this is true for me. I finished up over a year ago, but I still get on HKO to see if there is anyone to chat with, whether it be a long time friend or a newbie I can help. However, if there are no newbies, there are no new friends to chat with and thus no reason for me, or any other long time player, to go to Sanrioland.

I think SD made a big mistake when they took back marketing from Aeria Games, but then did not pick up with advertising the game. It's sad that HKO has become a joke. It's a really fun game, a game where player conflict and violence are not the prime means to advance in level. This rare in the MMO world and there is a real market out there for our type of game, but the people who would play are not hearing about it.

The press release idea is a good one, I believe. It's much less costly than purchasing ad time on network media. The internet is vast and there must be many sites interested in talking about HKO. Even if they are not being nice about it, you have to remember, any publicity is good publicity. People have to hear about it somehow before they will be interested enough to come have a look.

Said press release could be used effectively in many ways. SD has a massive email list they could use to publicize the game. Though there may be some costs I am not aware of, I know that email is virtually free. The worst that will happen is SD will get relegated to someone's spam folder.

I genuinely love HKO. It's the first MMORPG I have ever played and I would hate to see it disappear. I would be willing to do whatever I can to help save it if I only knew what to do. Are there peer review sites out there where we can go discuss our game? Is there anywhere we can go to petition gaming blogs and such to talk about HKO? I'm not a social media type person, but is there a way to use social media sites to get our message out there?

If anyone has any answers, please reply. I'll get right to work doing what I can.

Iris

Nothing lyssariia@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    I found HKO on a blog that features cute games and that's how I got into it.. the game definitely needs more effective advertising. There are a lot of issues on the game and having new players will also help fund for some changes the game desperately needs.

To be honest I feel like some of the decisions made since about March 2010 are just done to help the game die out. The players that are most passionate about the game are either too few or do not sign on any more. The market potential for anything related to Hello Kitty is amazing and yet this isn't being utilized effectively.

For management to understand this is a serious issue we need more numbers to talk out but how is that possible if their decisions already made these numbers fall out? I mean come on, I've seen more players on games that literally have died out or didn't have as much potential.

It's time to wake up management because this has gone far enough. If you don't want to update the game with more features to keep the players you do have, at least advertise to bring more people in to help fund these changes.

HKO Int: Hi US/C: Ly | My Blog | HKO Wiki

Amen, Ly! But how do we do that?

I wish I knew more online friends outside of HKO. If I could get their attention, maybe I could encourage them to return to the game and help with this cause. My guild is silent now, and I miss them.

Iris

Senior Member acton@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    It is sad; I just did a Google search and confirm go play hello kitty online has became and insult, very different from 2009 when there was an interest and buzz from the gamer community. The biggest error was braking up the servers to different regions and outsourcing distribution to outside companies like Aeria Games. The decision to outsource had lead to a delayed beta and loss of momentum. In addition, it broke up the international socialization of the game and unnecessarily segmented the market.
    Other issues are, as other seen, the lack of advertising and not promoting and linking to Sanrio stores and events. HKO should been promoted though the Sanrio 50th anniversary events especially the LA and Miami events. Getting celebrity and their kids endorsements would do wonders.
    How I would save the game. First, consolidate all servers to language groups. Second link promotions to Sanrio stores, store purchases can lead to earning coins. Finally fix the social networking aspect. Make guild mean something.

hmm th best way 2 get HKO out there is 2 spam th internet, it annoys some ppl n they end up writing about it in there blogs giving u more free advertising. money might b tight but if u get more players then u get more ppl buying Items from th mall n stuff so i th end ul end up earning money.
    All u hav 2 do is look at some of th mager games n see how much they advertise...
    *Fiesta Online
    *4Story (they dont advertise much any more but wen they 1st came out their ads were everwhere)
    *Shaiya
    *Perfect World
    *Runes of Magic
    *FLYFF
    *Evony (biggest spammer ever)
    *WOW
    an many more

LoL I was ranting about this in another thread. YES WE NEED TO ADVERTISE THIS PLACE!!!

1. I have NOT seen this game in ANY Sanrio store here in Hawaii (Believe me...I visit enough of them).
    2. I agree FACEBOOK!!! They base advertisement on demographics. So the Hello Kitty lovers will see the ads on the side.

Seriously I was really surprised that this international icon couldn't even get a game popular. Hello Kitty? Come one she has toasters! There's even wedding bands for both groom and brides with her face imprinted on them.... :\