+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Junior Member maymaybunny91@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    You don't need to know!
    Posts
    24

    Anyone else gone through this?

    Okay, so I have a crush but It is kind of strange. Do any of you think it is weird how I have a crush on a guy YOUNGER then me. I like him because he is all funny and bubbly. I think it is SOOO cute. >.< He also talks to me and listens. Is it weird that he is a year younger, though? I mean, one of my friends two years ago was dating a guy younger by only a year ( like my situation )and people thought it was gross and nasty. Opinions? ( BTW, I am 17 and he just turned 16 ) Should I care what other people think? Should I care what his sister thinks since she is my best friend, long time?? HELP!!!

  2. #2
    Mermaid efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK (a bit confused)
    Posts
    1,098
    People are stoopid that way.

    **Shrugs**

    One of my friends had a boyfriend who was two years younger than her, and she was 18 and he was 16 at the time, and it worked out, until their personalities did them in. However, it wasn't the difference in ages. It was due to the way they were, despite having similar maturity levels.

    I think it's not weird. You like who you like, and that's it. It's normal as long as you are around the same age and/or maturity. I, personally, prefer men at least four years older than me, which people think is gross, too. (I honestly don't know why. Even if they look baby-faced, I'm only attracted to them if they are older than me even if I don't know yet how old they are for real).

    And, you shouldn't care too much what his sister thinks, but if it makes you feel better about potentially going out with her brother, you should perhaps talk with her. Because it is kind of a sensitive topic, perhaps she would appreciate some forewarning, you know. And she is your best friend. She should know your character. She could be a potential supporter.

    I think most people are uncomfortable with girls going out with guys younger than them because it's joked that only crazy guys will look up to the "oldies", so it's gross, whereas is, like, totally normal if a guy likes a girl younger than him. Have you noticed in comedy shows there's always the "gross-older-lady admirer" routine? It creates this stereotype of it being somehow abhorrent, when in fact, it's extremely, extremely common. I should know, I meet all sorts. Plus one of my cousins married a woman who is like eight years older than him, or something.

    I'm not calling you old or anything, I'm just showing you an extreme example.

    Guy crushes on older girl.

    Girl crushes on younger guy.

    It happens.

    **Shrugs again**
    ~You've to take your life how it comes. Your life, it's only one.
    Twins with: santa123fawr (MeSpirit/Mel)

  3. #3
    Junior Member maymaybunny91@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    You don't need to know!
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com View Post
    People are stoopid that way.

    **Shrugs**

    One of my friends had a boyfriend who was two years younger than her, and she was 18 and he was 16 at the time, and it worked out, until their personalities did them in. However, it wasn't the difference in ages. It was due to the way they were, despite having similar maturity levels.

    I think it's not weird. You like who you like, and that's it. It's normal as long as you are around the same age and/or maturity. I, personally, prefer men at least four years older than me, which people think is gross, too. (I honestly don't know why. Even if they look baby-faced, I'm only attracted to them if they are older than me even if I don't know yet how old they are for real).

    And, you shouldn't care too much what his sister thinks, but if it makes you feel better about potentially going out with her brother, you should perhaps talk with her. Because it is kind of a sensitive topic, perhaps she would appreciate some forewarning, you know. And she is your best friend. She should know your character. She could be a potential supporter.

    I think most people are uncomfortable with girls going out with guys younger than them because it's joked that only crazy guys will look up to the "oldies", so it's gross, whereas is, like, totally normal if a guy likes a girl younger than him. Have you noticed in comedy shows there's always the "gross-older-lady admirer" routine? It creates this stereotype of it being somehow abhorrent, when in fact, it's extremely, extremely common. I should know, I meet all sorts. Plus one of my cousins married a woman who is like eight years older than him, or something.

    I'm not calling you old or anything, I'm just showing you an extreme example.

    Guy crushes on older girl.

    Girl crushes on younger guy.

    It happens.

    **Shrugs again**
    You are completely right! Thank you for your input! I usually go for guys A LOT older but in this case it kind of IS different.

    I HATE that stereotype on comedies!! I think that is also why people always find the older woman crushing on the younger guy gross. It probably wouldn't matter in a few years anyway when he is like 25 and I'm 26. I think High School probably just makes it seem a problem when really there isn't one.

    His sister by the way, MIGHT find it cute. ( I probably should have mentioned this but this is his step sister, he lives with her, though. When I go over there they get in the hugest fights of who I get to hang out with. :3 ) She just probably can't imagine me and him together since I try my hardest not to make it seem like I fall in and out of love.

    Our maturity levels ARE a little different. I am a lot more mature but he can bring the most silliest of me out.

    Oh, and don't worry, I didn't take offense. Those examples didn't make me feel old.

    THANKS!! ( Now I am wondering If I should invite him to Prom when I become a senior...) THANK YOU!!

  4. #4
    Mermaid efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK (a bit confused)
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by maymaybunny91@hellokitty.com View Post
    You are completely right! Thank you for your input! I usually go for guys A LOT older but in this case it kind of IS different.
    Exactly. If it feels right for you, and he's a great person and all that, GO FOR IT!

    Quote Originally Posted by maymaybunny91@hellokitty.com View Post
    It probably wouldn't matter in a few years anyway when he is like 25 and I'm 26. I think High School probably just makes it seem a problem when really there isn't one.

    Yes. When you are in your twenties, or thirties, the maturity levels will become similar. He'll level-up eventually. Most marriages in which the girl is older, the gir is just like 1-5 years older (just like with older guys). My uncle married a lady who was four years older than him, but you wouldn't notice because they were similar in tastes and maturity and really got well with one another xD (They divorced, but I think she's got a je ne sais quoi younger guys like, because her current husband is two years younger than her, and again, it seems that this one will be a keeper! To me, she's still my auntie).

    Indeed.

    Look, I went through High School after a period of extreme and incredibly nasty bullying in Primary, so after I developed a skin thicker than a rhino's I had a lot more chances to just kind of observe people, simply because whatever they did couldn't get me anymore.

    What I found is that High School is full of incredibly judgemental people. This doesn't make High Schoolers bad people: they are just scared of "falling out" and being an outcast since you guys are just trying to find your place in the world, which is completely normal (this is also, I think, why stereotypes hold a lot more sway in High School).

    So even if you think you are being bad or anything, don't you worry. You are probably get called names and stuff (although, I don't think it will be anything particularly upsetting), but that will pass, since they'll look for the next new thing to mock. It's a cycle. People move on.

    Whatever happens, just follow your heart, all right?


    Quote Originally Posted by maymaybunny91@hellokitty.com View Post
    His sister by the way, MIGHT find it cute. ( I probably should have mentioned this but this is his step sister, he lives with her, though. When I go over there they get in the hugest fights of who I get to hang out with. :3 ) She just probably can't imagine me and him together since I try my hardest not to make it seem like I fall in and out of love.

    Our maturity levels ARE a little different. I am a lot more mature but he can bring the most silliest of me out.
    Actually, that's AWESOME. Then she'll absolutely support you.

    Moreover, if you do go out, since you are a bit maturer, problems will crop up but a quick talk with him and with his sis may help you straighten things out. I think it looks like a pretty promising relationship if it comes to pass!

    Besides, it's super good that you are capable of getting along despite everything.

    Oh. And by the way? If you still like him, you should totally invite to senior prom to be your dance partner.

    Good luck!
    Last edited by efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com; 07-18-2014 at 09:53 PM.
    ~You've to take your life how it comes. Your life, it's only one.
    Twins with: santa123fawr (MeSpirit/Mel)

  5. #5
    Senior Member anastasiakiwi10@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    In my imagination
    Posts
    1,279
    I had a crush on someone two years younger than me once. It doesn't matter. Aren't most couples' ages about a year apart anyway?
    Hello! On Hello Kitty Online, I'm AnastasiaKiwi10 on the US/Canada server Magical and Ichigogo on the International server Wonderful. I play often, and I hope to see you around! ^^

  6. #6
    Magical Girl liza@mymelody.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Harmony Land
    Posts
    63
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the age difference. I think people are more accepting of couples where the boy is older than the girl because of film and television. Feeling weird about it is normal because our society tells us that it's weird (even though it really isn't). For example, it's perfectly fine for an older man to date a younger woman, but an older woman dating a young man is called a "cougar."

    I think that age might only become an issue in a relationship if you graduate from high school and go to college while he is still in high school, but that's something a lot of couples have to go through a work out.

    Best of luck in your love life <3
    Last edited by liza@mymelody.com; 08-03-2014 at 08:01 AM.
    ✧・゚✰ *:。 moon prism power 。:* ✰・゚✧

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    7
    My grandmother married my Grandfather who was 4yrs younger than her, nothing wrong with that, same as my father married my Dad who was 1 1/2 younger than her, I on the other hand married my husband who even though he looks younger than me, he is 12 yrs older than me, we dated, got married & our marriege is solid, we have two awesome kids and we still love each other more than yesterday.

    Since your both young, and still on that age of dating, I think its fine, you can talk to your bestfriend about your feelings for your brother, Having a healthy relationship as a couple is having good relationships with the people you both care about. You start by creating a good foundation, its like building a strong building, if you don't create a strong foundation, the building easily collapse when a disaster like an earthquake happens.

    What your feeling now is normal to everyone in different parts of this planet. There are those who think of it as its disgusting because they are stucked up in one place and are close minded people, you shouldn't care about those kinds of people, its what makes you happy as long as the relationship between you are mutual and healthy & as long as you both don't forget the importance of both your families and future. Don't just focus yourselves in love, use love to have an awesome future for you both.

    Real or True love happens once, sometimes it can be deceiving but you will know in time if its "it."

    Good luck with your young love, I think your best friend will understand and be happy about how you feel. I have a sister and brother your age, my sister's bestfriends have a huge crush on our brother & my sister was happy and fine with it, fine with my brother too but he doesn't consider dating anyone while he focus more in collage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts