+ Reply to Thread
    ★Movie Princess★ londonluv86@hellokitty.com's Avatar

Question Is being "out of style" really bad?

I am 15 years old now and I can't seem to wear any dresses because I don't like them! I feel uncomfortable when I wear dresses and I end up changing into jeans and when I wear t-shirts my mom and my sister always say that I look bad or that I don't dress pretty and I should use clothes like all the other girls of my age.

The thing is, I don't like the clothes all the other girls of my age use! I don't like wearing clothes without sleeves, shorts, high heels, and sometimes I feel bad when I go shopping because it takes me thousands of shirts to see until I find one that I really like and that really does go with my personality but it turns out it doesn't fit!

Also, they say that my hair is horrible, I don't like doing my hair "pretty" often, I just like wearing it down, but sometimes when they say things like that, that my hair looks bad, that my clothes look bad, I feel bad

Am I truly wearing the wrong clothes? Should I listen and wear everything the girls my age wear even though they're tight, uncomfortable and I don't like it because it's nothing like me? Is it bad to be a tomboy? What can I do to feel better when I try on clothes?

Never Give Up... Follow Your Dreams... Believe In Yourself... Learn From The Past... Save The Future... Live The Present... Take Risks... Enjoy Each Second Of Life... Help Others And Share Smiles... Live Life As It Comes... Bring Peace... Laugh... Be Happy... Cry... Forgive...
    Love... Dream... Live... Care... Smile...

BlogVideos

Senior Member anastasiakiwi10@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    I'm a lot like you. The way I dress is nothing like how most girls my age dress. Sometimes my parents even make fun of me. They want me to be more feminine. And well, normal.

But you shouldn't feel pressured to wear clothes you don't like in order to fit in. People may make fun of you, but if you dress like them you will be betraying yourself. You need to be true to yourself. Even if it means you won't fit in.

Meh, fitting in is overrated anyway.

To answer all of the questions in your last paragraph in order:

1. No, because you're wearing stuff you're comfortable in.

2. No, definitely don't do that! It will most likely make you feel even worse.

3. Definitely not! Tomboys rock! ^.^

4. Well, instead of comparing your outfit to what other girls wear, think about what you like about the clothes. (Same goes for your hair too.) Looking on the bright side of things can really help. And I know how you feel because I also have a really hard time finding clothes, and when I do find something I like, it's not something that's cute or in style. It's just something that I'm comfortable wearing. So what if people make fun of me for what I wear? I'd rather be hated for I am than loved for who I'm not.
    Hello! On Hello Kitty Online, I'm AnastasiaKiwi10 on the US/Canada server Magical and Ichigogo on the International server Wonderful. I play often, and I hope to see you around! ^^

Mermaid efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    I agree with Ana-chan, completely.

I don't have the same problem as you, I dress actually very girly, but attitude-wise I'm a tomboy. However, when I dress girly, I don't dress exactly "trendy" or "in". To be hyonest, I hate hate hate those newfangled shirt atrocities without sleeves, that just dig in my armpits because of my wide shoulders; and I despise those dresses that look more like long blouses. I prefer dresses that actually cover my arse, for instance.

But, the important thing is that you should dress always the way you are comfortable with.

Clothes showcase who you are, and if you dress in an unique or different way, often enough you are a unique and interesting person (this need not apply always, look at a hardcore hipster).

If you dress like the other girls your age, then you'll just be one of those dime-a-dozen, a faceless being in the multitude of life. There is value in having your own fashion sense. If you are worried you don't look pretty enough, perhaps you should look into some alternative fashion bloggers for inspiration or reassurance.

But stay true to yourself.
    ~You've to take your life how it comes. Your life, it's only one.
    Twins with: santa123fawr (MeSpirit/Mel)

Member thebeatlespkmnfan42@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    I never understood why it matters if what you wear is the "popular style" or not. I can't say I've ever really cared about my appearance at all for that matter. I just wear a T-shirt and jeans daily.

Just wear whatever you want. And just ignore people who tell you otherwise because they aren't worth your time.

Senior Member anastasiakiwi10@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeatlespkmnfan42@hellokitty.com View Post
    Just wear whatever you want. And just ignore people who tell you otherwise because they aren't worth your time.

*thumbs up*
    Hello! On Hello Kitty Online, I'm AnastasiaKiwi10 on the US/Canada server Magical and Ichigogo on the International server Wonderful. I play often, and I hope to see you around! ^^

Super Hello Kitty Fan cutievee123@mymelody.com's Avatar
    I believe that being "out of style" is NOT a bad thing. In fact, I also believe that there is no such a thing as "out of style". We all have our style preferences. What's important is you are wearing what's comfortable and what makes you confident. It's cool to be unique!
    Reminder to all: Please do not post just for the sake of posting or just for making your number of posts high. Make your posts count.

I think LadyLyka is right. There is a difference between "style" and "fashion". Style is personal, while fashion is something that keeps changing.

If you're comfortable and confident with what you're wearing, then pay the other girls no heed. There's nothing bad about being a tomboy!

★Movie Princess★ londonluv86@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Thank you so much for all your messages and all your advice! This has really made me feel better and I think I'll start being more confident about just being myself and worry less about what others say that could hurt me.

Thank you!

Never Give Up... Follow Your Dreams... Believe In Yourself... Learn From The Past... Save The Future... Live The Present... Take Risks... Enjoy Each Second Of Life... Help Others And Share Smiles... Live Life As It Comes... Bring Peace... Laugh... Be Happy... Cry... Forgive...
    Love... Dream... Live... Care... Smile...

BlogVideos

Senior Member shumibiggi@mymelody.com's Avatar
    Not at all. Wear what you want! It does not matter if it is cool or not at that time. Ignore the people who makes fun of you for what you wear, these people are idiots who have no life! And even if following fashion would be important it would be almost impossible to do since it changes so often.
    If you fall, I'll be there. - Floor

Junior Member neomeo@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Dreamland, Planet Popstar, with Kirby and META KNIGHT!!!!!!!!!! :D <(-^^-<)
    I'm like that too. I wear what I want to wear!
    Wear whatever you feel like wearing! You don't have to be a clone. And it's not being "out of style" either. It's not bad to be a tomboy, and don't try to force yourself into bright, pastel-colored dresses just because someone tells you to. It's purely your choice, and your choice ONLY.
    Kirby Poyo~!
    <(-^^-<)