+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Obscure hobbies?

I have a couple of more obscure hobbies, I was wondering if anybody else had some unusual ones too. (I know, I'm a bit odd and do a lot of "odd" things.) Some of my more unusual hobbies are...

Hypnotism, I started practicing this to help with stress and now I practice it on my boyfriend and friends for fun and a little romantic cuteness.

Collecting tea sets, I've been doing this since I was a little girl and I adore a good teaset. This particular hobby drives my boyfriend a little nuts.

Studying Irish language, this one's coming along a bit more slowly, but it's very fascinating!

Making board games and toys, I'd like to professionally do some that actually make it to large-scale production, which may take some more time, but I've done some as practice I'm pretty happy with.

So, anybody else have some unusual hobbies?

Senior Member dudette4475@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    I collect teasets too!! I actually collect all sorts of Japanese-made antiques. There's actually a lot of things to find once you know what to look for!

I like creating new words.

Sometimes if I'm listening to a song with a lot of back-up vocals and some dancing, I try to copy it. My friend says I'd make a wonderful back-up vocalist.
    The best things in life are free... Except for chocolate!

I love teasets! Myself, I'm rather fond of bone china sets like from Royal Doulton and I also rather enjoy Home Laughlin sets. I wish I had more money and space to indulge in it, and more people interested in having tea.

I also do love singing and karaoke, but I'm not sure if karaoke counts as obscure or sadistic. *laughs*

Senior Member azog@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    I love languages, mostly historical. I've tried to develop my own "conlang" (constructed language) but it's very hard. You don't just make up works like "ugg means hello", but develop rules of grammar, morphology, etc. People like Tolkien spent their lives working on their languages.

I love to play with electronics, altho that's not obscure anymore. I tend to build clocks. I've been trying to delve into the technical workings of a CPU, and build one from gate-level components. Again, others have done so, it's called "homebrew CPUs", and some people have spent ~5 years working on their CPUs.

Senior Member dudette4475@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Wow, Sanriotowners love their languages!! I've tried making a language that as supposed to be from another planet. I even made an alphabet. It was really hard, because you have to think about syntax too. Like sentence structure and everything. Very fun, but tricky, and a bit 'obscure' I suppose.

Random: One language I love is Ubbi-Dubbi. It doesn't get any simpler. Yet so cool. Yubes, Ubi'm uban Ububbubi-Dububbubi fuban.
    Last edited by dudette4475@hellokitty.com; 04-18-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    The best things in life are free... Except for chocolate!

Mermaid efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    I like philology and learning languages.

I have many more hobbies than that, but hose are my obscure ones. I have stacks of pages on the syntax of the sentences in other languages! It's good fun.

Currently I can speak a little of Italian, Portuguese, Mandarin Chinese and Japanese. I'm fluent in Spanish and English.

I also find the Irish language immensely interesting. Did you know that the Celtic languages share a similar syntax to Spanish?

As in:

Subject + adjective + verb+ Direct Object + adverb.

Maybe learning Spanish will be easy for you. Manx is proving fairly easy for me.

Also, I enjoy code-making.

I have currently made a phonetic abugida alphabet exclusively for my native language, Spanish. and I only have the key to it! MWAHAHAHA! Now nobody will decipher my Diary!
    Last edited by efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com; 05-19-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Ooh! I've always wanted a teaset (I'm saving my money for a really nice one). Could you post a picture of your collection?

Hmm liking to read manga and playing Pokemon aren't obscure anymore! XD My friend though is really trying to get me to start following K-Pop artists though XD I also like learning languages. I'm trying with German and Japanese, but maybe one day I'll learn Korean ^_^

Senior Member leeling1289@mymelody.com's Avatar
    Well, I collect horse-cards and mugs
    Might not be obscure, but at my age (turning 22) it's very unusual
    Check out my blog
    Lee's little lines

In-game name
    Leeling

Think Pink eliz_0311@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    fly ball a team sport for dogs which is essentially a relay race with hurdles and tennis balls .

Senior Member danceunderstars@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Ever since I was younger I collect sea-glass from the beach. I have jars full now, alll different shapes and sizes, mostly brown, clear, and green...but if you're lucky enough you will find red or blue.. :]