+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boys with girl names

I've met a few girls with boy names. Is it ok for girls to have a boys names?
    I haven't met guys with girl names. Is it ok for guys to have a girls name?
    I saw a show with a man who was named pearl and wondered why its ok for girls to have guy names... but its totally not cool for a guy to have a girl's name. Is it so demeaning to have a name from the opposite gender?

Would you name your (future) kid(s) with an opposite gender name? why or why not?

What's in a name? A rose by anyother name would smell as sweet. -Juliet from Romeo and Juliet

Think Pink eliz_0311@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    i have a friend boy with girl name his name is jen , in philippines it's really like a girl name heehee !

Senior Member dudette4475@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Jen can be either. The gelfling boy in Dark Crystal was named Jen! I've met a few guys named Leslie and some named Angel. A guy having a girl's name is certainly not very usual, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
    The best things in life are free... Except for chocolate!

Nothing lyssariia@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    It's very important to think about the child when you name them since it'll reflect their identity for as long as they're alive (unless they hate it enough to change it!). The parents might think the female names are more suitable for their child and even if that means they someday might get picked on, there's always a reason behind a name!

Some names really are ridiculous.. like the New Zealand girl that was named Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. Something like that ends up becoming a court issue.

HKO Int: Hi US/C: Ly | My Blog | HKO Wiki

There was a male wrestler called Big Daddy in the UK many years ago whose real name was Shirley Crabtree.

The male star of Western Films John Wayne was born Marion Robert Morrison.

There was a male English novelist called Evelyn Waugh.

I knew an male ex-Royal Navy engineer who was teaching electrical engineering at college whose first name was Kim.

It's more common than people think and I think it's good to mix it up a bit
    http://blog.sanriotown.com/vegankitty76:hellokitty.com/

Lisa76 in HKO

Little One guild

=^.^=

Mermaid efairyofthesea@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Shirley, Ashleigh/Ashley and Alexis (and many more!) started off as boy's names. So, really, in Anglo-saxon countries is us girls who ended up with the boys' names.

I think it also depends on cultural context, really.

In Latin American countries is very usual to see names with these constructions: Juan María (John Mary), José María (Joseph Mary), Edgardo Rosa (Edward Rose). Not necessary these very same names. These are considered appropriate names for boys since you're honouring the saints. José María would be honouring the Holy Family, for example.

This also rings true for girls, like María José.

Also, in Catholic tradition, in some Latin American countries (like Panamá, my birth country) it's usual to take as your name of confirmation the name of the patron saint of the day you were baptised. So, if you were baptised on February the 14th, even if you were a name, your assumed name before Jesus would be Valentín. There, nuns, monks and priests, when they consecrate themselves they usually take these names, but twist them to better suit their gender (if a girl with Valentín as her adopted name converts to a nun, she would use Valentina, the proper feminine of Valentín to refer herself, a boy with Rosa would change to Rojo).

It also gets muddled when you consider that names feminine sounding in English would be considerate appropriate for boys in other languages and vice versa. Ripping off from vegankitty76, Kim is both a name for boys and a last name in both Koreas. Makoto, from Japanese, sounds a proper masculine name, but it's actually for girls (it means honest + guitar, making allusion to music).

Note that when Makoto is used for males, a different meaning is used (hope).

It's time to rock with Hello Kitty kittynator@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Ashley Carr is a music composer and is a guy. Name has the link to his about page.
    Note 1: DO NOT COPY my user name/account for yours. Impersonating other users is strictly forbidden.

Note 2: Any beta content I post or mention, cannot be copied for yourself or others. Don't impersonate or ask for beta players. Yes, I'm a former beta player.

Note 3: I'm busy with non HKO things, but my home page will help you out with the game. Feel free to contact me if you have questions or /w Kittynator in HKO. I use Kittynator on both servers.

Note 4: Be nice to me and others.

[QUOTE=dudette4475@hellokitty.com;8083] I've met a few guys named Leslie and some named Angel.QUOTE]
    Angel XD RENT!
    Last edited by psychoboy@hellokitty.com; 06-05-2011 at 04:15 AM.
    *stares blankly until you're completely creeped out*

Senior Member santa123fawr@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Names are just name's really.

I've known plenty of girls with boyish names and there are plenty of names that are good for both genders.:P Yeah.

I think Dandelion is an awesome name for a guy.
    I AM Santa123fawr

I have a crush on Korrina from Pokemon x and y that....i feel i need to tell the whole net about cuz it's real big and stuff o.o;

My gender is irrelevant, have a nice day now.
    And I didn't make my awesome av :3 xD

Senior Member dudette4475@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psychoboy@hellokitty.com View Post
    Angel XD RENT!
    It's actually a fairly common male name in Puerto Rican culture. I actually have a relative, like a great uncle or something, named Angel.
    The best things in life are free... Except for chocolate!