+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

mom dislikes my fashion sense how to get better fashion sense?

Ok so my mom dislikes my fashion sense and i dislike hers (its like an old grandmas!). She still buys me clothes from Gymboree. I have seen 3 todlers wearing the same shirts i have from Gymboree. A lot of people are also beginning to make fun of my clothes and complament them in a rude way. Also my Gymboree clothes are too small and all my clothes are dark colors. How do i get better fashion sense?
    P.s I dont like short sleeves so i always wear a sweater
    P.SS (i really dont care how many P's or S's) i am very self concience cause every girl in my class is flate chested except me and my chest takes up space so in order to make myself look flat chested is to wear sweaters.

Senior Member twink1e@mymelody.com's Avatar
    To me fashon is all about waring things that makes you feel good. So, ware things that make you feel pritty and soon your attituede will be more happy. See I find when I wair my favorite clothes I feel so amazing. I suggest things that compiment your body. Just because others are flat chested dosnt meen you have to be, wair things that flont what youv'e been given. When I was younger I was the first girl to start getting a chest in my class. It wasn't really a bad thing, it allowed me to start trying on new kinds of clothing, like tops that would look weird if I didn't have my chest.

Think Pink eliz_0311@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    i agree twinkle , fashion makes you feel good ! wear things that you are comfortable ! always be yourself

Senior Member dudette4475@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Pick out clothes that you like and if she doesn't like them, ask her why. Is there something truly wrong about the piece, or is it just her personal preference? After a while, there's bound to be something you can both agree on. But if not... you do still live in her house with her rules and your parents are the ones who provide for you for now. So if they won't compromise with your clothes at all, just obey them for now. One day you will be on your own and will make all your own decisions in that regard.
    The best things in life are free... Except for chocolate!

Okay for a fact most parents hates what their kids wear. It's called the generation gap. What is "cool" and "in style" is what some parents call ************************. But I do recall you mentioning your age being in the preteens so I admit that Gymboree is way to young for your age! First thing first talk to your mom that you would like to shop in other places other than Gymboree. I'm not sure what's store is around your area but at least make sure they have a preteen section!

Second I understand you're embarrassed that you're growing some assets that the other girls don't have. You're growing up and there is not need to be ashamed. You should be proud! I'm sure some other girls are already jealous that you're growing into a mature young lady. So gracefully accept your changing body.

Third... for fashion sense. It's all about comfort. You don't always have to follow the fashion trend. Fashion world truly changes too fast for us normal people to follow and especially for people who have a limited amounts of cash. Flip through magazines, see what you like. But always be aware sometimes what you like won't always look good on certain body shapes. But trial and error you'll see what looks great on you. And as for your mom. Definitely bring her along (I bet she has to come anyways because she has the cash right?). Try on some clothes and have her comment what she thinks about the outfit. My mom was pretty strict when I was younger. No spaghetti straps, halters, etc until you're over 18! And that also included no shorts that was shorter than 2 inches below your fingertips! And you know what? That was fine with me when I was a preteen/teen. Because I knew what didn't make her happy and I worked around it. So you should too! Find out what she wouldn't allow and work your fashion around it. And really if you TRULY looked at the fashion world... there are bizarre clothing that makes not sense at all. So have fun!

The thing is i hardly like anything. All the stuff i like looks like crap on me T_T
    It really does! I dont wear bright colors cause it makes me look like a weirdo @_@
    I do like comfort and sweaters are my comfort its just that once when me and my mom went to Northstrom to look for a Band concert outfit my mom found this sweater for herself that looked like my grandma wouldn't even wear and asked this lady next to herif it would look nice on her and the lady was scared that my mom even picked the sweater out O_O Oh i checked the 'popular' stores and most of their stuff was bad and cr*ppy. Since i am a weirdo and have issues according to some people i pick out crazy colored clothes. Once i picked this sweater that had crazy sweaters and asked my mom what was wrong with it and she said it was ugly. Tha's her reply to almost everything i like and i dont wear any revealing clothes cause i hate those! I dont even like graphic shirts either! THats most of the clothing in the world these days and my mom hates those too. Plus all she likes is black. Around 90% of her clothes were black! I also like Lolita but doubt that would look good on me. I like aristrocat, gothic, and (a lolita i made up) emo lolita.
    Yup i also like Pakistani clothes but i can't wear them to school :\

You don't have to do every single trend that's out there, and it doesn't have to be expensive or revealing. If you ask me, I don't think fashion today is as revealing as it used to be. OK, so you don't like things such as graphic tees or anything with bright colors. That's fine! You can wear solid colored shirts in colors you like. It's always good to have some plain tees in different colors so you could wear them in different ways. Also, try different styled jeans such as boot cut or skinnys. By the way, I'm not saying to try anything super-tight! Not all shinny jeans are like that. But it's up to you if you want to wear them or not, but I suggest you to at least try them out to see if you like them or not. For shoes, how about trying Converse-styled sneakers (if you or your mother can't get the real ones) or flats. Also, since you do seem to go to this site a lot, you must be a fan of Hello Kitty or some sort of Sanrio character. Try to get one or so things that have your favorite characters on them (I know you said that you and your mother don't like graphic shirts, but there are also bags, accessories, etc. that have these characters). I don't know what you would really like since it seems like you're really picky when it comes to fashion, but try doing some research online on what's out there for girls around your age rage (like maybe Googling it?) or checking out magazines such as Seventeen, Teen, etc. since these show what's out there now for tweens and teens. Check out stores such as Forever 21, Old Navy,Charlotte Russe, Wet Seal, etc. and chech out the Juniors section at stores such as JC Penny, K-Mart, Target, Walmart, Sears, Macy's, etc. or which ever stores around your area you can go to that sells fashionable clothes for less. Remember, fashion doesn't have to be uncomfortable! You can still look good and be comfy. I hope this helped. Good Luck!

I'm not allowed to go to those stores my mom doesn't like them and when i go to the junior section all the clothes look bad on me....and i get made fun of at school because of that

Senior Member dudette4475@hellokitty.com's Avatar
    Juniors stuff can be a little tight... Maybe try the petites section of different stores (I recommend a few of the stores hanarosa posted above, especially JC Penney, Target, and Walmart) It's modest stuff that can be pretty cute sometimes. And it's really comfy since it's not form-fitting or anything. Just explore a bit more and find your balance!! And make sure it gets parent-approved of course.
    The best things in life are free... Except for chocolate!

Quote Originally Posted by perfectpanda37@mymelody.com View Post
    I'm not allowed to go to those stores my mom doesn't like them and when i go to the junior section all the clothes look bad on me....and i get made fun of at school because of that
    Really? Then what kind of places are you allowed to shop at? It sounds like you really are in a tight spot when it comes to clothes. So does your mother hate today's mainstreem fashion that much? If so, why? Does she only want you to wear practical but not fashionable clothing? If so, how can she expect you to change the way you dress if she's so closed-minded about fashion? I hope this doesn't offend you or your mother in any way, but I don't understand how you're both going to solve this problem if she doesn't let you try out what's out there. It seems like your mother doesn't want you to wear anything nice at all. Well, whatever happens, I hope you both figure it out and get through this tough situation . @dudette4475: not everything's tight. In fact, it doesn't have to be. Get sizes that are more comfortable for you. Oh, and the sizes on tags are not always correct. There are times when you have to use your common sense. For example, a medium can sometimes fit like a small or a large depending on how the company made the clothes.